Electrician Talk banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
The Tyco inline splice kit has me wondering how many of you bury a splice that's not accessible? I will splice a box next to a can if need be and other little tricks but don't have the conscience to bury a splice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Point of order!
I thought we were addressing underground splicing like real electricians not resi rope and drywall work.:hammer:
OP above...splice was for romex.

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
I'm working on a high rise presentation centre right now, this place will be ripped apart again in probably 2 years at the most after the development sells out. Yesterday I had to cut open a wall with backing in it to add power for a TV, and in the process I managed to cut a cable with my sawzall *derp*. I seriously considered burying a splice, just for the simple fact that it would only be there a few months. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I safed off the other end, labeled the cut cable abandoned, and fished in a new line. I couldn't stand the idea of whoever demos that place finding it and wondering what hack built the place.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
I seriously considered burying a splice, just for the simple fact that it would only be there a few months. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I safed off the other end, labeled the cut cable abandoned, and fished in a new line. I couldn't stand the idea of whoever demos that place finding it and wondering what hack built the place.
It’s like killing someone. The first one is the hardest, but after that it’s business as usual. :biggrin:

·
Light Bender
5,835 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’m not saying that ilburying a splice should be made code compliant. I understand why it is against code. I am just saying that a competent and skilled electrician shouldn’t feel bad for doing it every once in a while.
What about burying a junction point, like a box with more than just one wire in, and one wire out?

Would you bury a box like that?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
It’s like killing someone. The first one is the hardest, but after that it’s business as usual. :biggrin:
You're a sheetrocker at heart. :wink:

·
Hackenschmidt
10,436 Posts

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
A junction that's more than a splice to extend a cable would be more likely to mess up someone troubleshooting.
I couldn't care less about someone's troubleshooting.

The NEC is not a design manual.

In the 1 in a billion chance that the handful of buried splices I have made messes up someone else's troubleshooting, too bad. Run a new circuit. Done.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,436 Posts
I couldn't care less about someone's troubleshooting.

The NEC is not a design manual.

In the 1 in a billion chance that the handful of buried splices I have made messes up someone else's troubleshooting, too bad. Run a new circuit. Done.
Oh my God Hackworth. You mean you bury splices and leave half connected wiring floating in the walls? Why don't you leave a banana peel at the top of the stairs too? Maybe give the toddlers matches and lead paint chips in the shape of M&M's to play with if there's kids in the household?

·
Can't sign em..forget em
7,439 Posts
Just finished a small commercial remodel job.
The hackwork I found during demo on this building
was hilarious. If I were giving Electricians Talk any kind
of thought while working, I would have taken pictures ,
but alas I didn't take pictures and I don't think of ET
often enough (evidently).

Well , I get the call back that an outside post light (in the
parking lot) is not working off the photo eye no more
So I check my print and there's no "post light" in the specs.

I go back to do an outside visual search and by back tracking
where the OH switch leg enters the building and the fortune
of an open non dry walled wall in the corner (on the garage side)
reached into the back of the wall & was able to feel that there's
a steel box buried back there at coach light height.

After pulling teeth and Chinese torture test on the owner
I got him to fess up that there used to be an exterior coach
light on the right side of the front door of this business.

Evidently the owner did not want it any more , hired a previous
electrician who used the box as a junction point for the install
of the post light , prior to the installation of steel siding being
put on the building and just covering the old coach light box
under that siding. Nice.

Too bad for the owner. The "post light" or any power or switch
was not on the spec sheet for the job (probably cause the architect
didn't know about it either)so guess who is making more money
tomorrow?

Thank you to all electricians who bury boxes:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
weasel
106 Posts
It’s perfectly legal and they even sell them at Home Depot and loads with shrink tubing. I did it about a month ago and even let the inspector watch as I used my heat gun to shrink the tubing

·
Band Member
6,625 Posts
It’s perfectly legal and they even sell them at Home Depot and loads with shrink tubing. I did it about a month ago and even let the inspector watch as I used my heat gun to shrink the tubing
If the Pro at Home Depot approves, well then... so do I :biggrin:
Homeowners helping Homeowners ...

·
Chief Flunky
1,584 Posts
Just Cadweld it all. It’s easy and definitely to Code. And will scare any homeowner away from ever doing it themselves. Erico has been pushing the idea that mechanical splices underground shouldn’t be used for years. Now they even have one time use kits so you don’t have to buy molds.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts