Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

During a remodel or new installation in an exixting building, does any contact you make with any wiring, in any part of the electrical system make you responsible for the entire premises wiring system?

Premises Wiring (System). That interior and exterior wiring, including power, lighting, control, and signal circuit wiring together with all their associated hardware, fittings, and wiring devices, both permanently and temporarily installed, that extends from the service point or source of power, such as a battery, a solar photovoltaic system, or a generator, transformer, or converter windings, to the outlet(s).

Such wiring does not include wiring internal to appliances, luminaires (fixtures), motors, controllers, motor control centers, and similar equipment.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I think the unwritten rule is, "the last guy that touched it, owns it". If I give my inspector's the head's up on something existing that I've found that's hazardous, and it's not in my scope of work (contractually), they'll order it to be done so that it will be in my scope of work. It's nice that some inspector's will get your back that way. The problem still exists that if there's no one compelling a person to have work done, I just can't up and do it just because I see it needs done. Rock and hard place situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.