Electrician Talk banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,330 Posts
Sounds as though he really needs to get some class 2 gloves and a extendo hot stick to pull the cutout on the pole to suit some of you guys.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,194 Posts
Sounds as though he really needs to get some class 2 gloves and a extendo hot stick to pull the cutout on the pole to suit some of you guys.
No but my job is service contractor. I get all the ones that are so hairy the local guys don’t want to touch it. And hey how come you know I carry class 2 gloves and hot sticks on the van?

Seriously I’ve had some very ugly situations even at 480 or 4160, never mind 35 kV. I wouldn’t have thought despite the lab testing that 240/120 panels are anything but a shock hazard, and barely one, until I found the actual case, though rare, if someone dying. Granted I don’t even own flip flops.

Real (serious) arc flash is rare. Like one in a million per year rare. Every single case that OSHA has documented is human caused although in one case the victim and cause were different people.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
No but my job is service contractor. I get all the ones that are so hairy the local guys don’t want to touch it. And hey how come you know I carry class 2 gloves and hot sticks on the van?

Seriously I’ve had some very ugly situations even at 480 or 4160, never mind 35 kV. I wouldn’t have thought despite the lab testing that 240/120 panels are anything but a shock hazard, and barely one, until I found the actual case, though rare, if someone dying. Granted I don’t even own flip flops.

Real (serious) arc flash is rare. Like one in a million per year rare. Every single case that OSHA has documented is human caused although in one case the victim and cause were different people.
Hey, how do you know that I don’t have class 2 Salisburys and a Chance stick?

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,553 Posts
Hey, how do you know that I don’t have class 2 Salisburys and a Chance stick?
Wait, people here don’t have those things, and more?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,570 Posts
How often do people have their gloves tested and how many pairs do people have? How long is a hard hat good for?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,909 Posts
How often do people have their gloves tested and how many pairs do people have? How long is a hard hat good for?
Gloves are every 6 months or if damaged.
The hard hat is replaced when the reflectivity has been reduced or if the lid is damaged. My brain bucket is about 12 years old.

·
Registered
31,740 Posts
Gloves are every 6 months or if damaged.
The hard hat is replaced when the reflectivity has been reduced or if the lid is damaged. My brain bucket is about 12 years old.
Hard Hats have an expiration date, check under the brim.

We each own a minimum of two pairs and do regular swaps every 6 months. If damaged TRASH.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,909 Posts
Hard Hats have an expiration date, check under the brim.

We each own a minimum of two pairs and do regular swaps every 6 months. If damaged TRASH.
Will look for that date on Monday.
But I believe that the stamped date is the manufacture date. MSA says every 5 years, but that can vary. We don’t swap them here.
We do have the 6 month swap program. It was running behind this year.. Last swap out was about 1.5 years ago.
Even our glove program was a joke at first. They confiscated everyone’s gloves. This was to prevent anyone from working anything hot and to save money. . I refused to give mine up. Told them to write me up if they liked. They finally started up the program again. But it’s still hot or miss.

·
Registered
31,740 Posts

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,553 Posts
We have an “R” (as required) check for each time the gloves are used per 24-hour period.

Ordered that set a year ago. Still waiting
I bought mine straight off of Amazon a few years back. I don’t have a shop to go through.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,513 Posts
I bought mine straight off of Amazon a few years back. I don’t have a shop to go through.
Grainger claims they had a production problem and it's been a running joke on how long I can keep the po open. Last I heard was late july

·
Coffee drinking member
13,909 Posts
Yup, that's the stamped manufacturing date.
Even OSHA states that it "Should" be replaced. But it does not state "Shall" be.
Beyond that it's left open to interpretation.
We are not allowed to purchase and use our own PPE beyond boots. We have to trust that management will provide us with what we need.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We are not allowed to purchase and use our own PPE beyond boots. We have to trust that management will provide us with what we need.
The last place I worked supplied you with a hard cap with their company logo on it, but refused to buy hard hats (full brim) because of expense. The extra money spent on the printing was more than the hat was extra. I wore my own hat and while they didn’t like it, knew that they could have to supply one if it got ugly.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,194 Posts
Supposed to be six months on rubber goods and hot sticks. I’ve seen a lot longer.

Hard hats are supposed to be 5 years indoors/low use (office personnel), 2 for ones that get used. That’s what the hard hat companies say at least. It’s from date of issue not manufacturing date. There is a date code molded into most.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,194 Posts
Ordered that set a year ago. Still waiting
Call a glove testing company. They keep lots of inventory and it’s cheap. They have standing orders to replace with utilities. They have all kinds of cuff shapes, classes, brands, sizes.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,513 Posts
Call a glove testing company. They keep lots of inventory and it’s cheap. They have standing orders to replace with utilities. They have all kinds of cuff shapes, classes, brands, sizes.

Its not the gloves its the 2 piece honeywell salisbury suit.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts