Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,848 Posts
Electricians around here call them Red Heads... Electrical slang can be different depending on where you are. If you run a lot of MC you probably have used many of these. For years and years our city electrical inspector wouldn't allow MC (Probably saw too many fires caused by BX), that changed after he retired.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
The correct answer is yes. If you were installing ac in old days. MC cables never required but ac did at least at one time. I don't hardly use AC outside of hospital stuff so not sure about any longer with the AC.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,301 Posts
If you use the arlington ast connectors you don’t they are built in
Does the red head go into the sheathing? I think what you have is an insulated throat connector. Does that take the place of a redhead, for instance in bx?

·
Registered
469 Posts
They're called red devils or anti shorts here. It's been a while but my boss would throw his pliers at me if we failed inspection because of a missing red devil, so I made sure to always use them.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,335 Posts
So why would an inspector fail a job for these not being used?
The 232mscm stab it boxes I use have the ast built in and the far side support and the first support and a stud mount bracket. They are a little more expensive but pay for themselves in labor units putting all that stuff together

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
If you use the arlington ast connectors you don’t they are built in
Yes that would be another option. But it achieves the same requirement. The question was "are these required". There are also other brands of connectors besides Arlington's ones. Insulated throats. They too can fit the bill.
But it remains that AC cables had to have one of those options to meet code. Whereas mc cables don't. Most people besides myself forget the AC part of the story on that question.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts