Electrician Talk banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,680 Posts
I do strictly service work and I have found more than a few shorted mc cables over the years right were the wire comes out of the cut mc but never one with the anti-short installed. The newer push in connectors are a better design then the 2 screw at least you don't have to worry about someone going crazy with their drill. Also people don't cut them with a rotosplitter but dikes and will argue with you tell there blue in the face that it's just as good and faster, but everyone who learns to use the splitter properly knows there wrong.
I don't use dikes, I use a new pair of tin snips but I also always use the anti short bushings. I carry the minimum amount of tools and the rotosplit is just one extra thing to carry. I do have a roto split but only use it on older BX that does not pop open easily.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I don't use dikes, I use a new pair of tin snips but I also always use the anti short bushings. I carry the minimum amount of tools and the rotosplit is just one extra thing to carry. I do have a roto split but only use it on older BX that does not pop open easily.
Less is MORE

·
Read Only
790 Posts
Anti-shorts, or ********. Red heads are the old 22 ramsets. Gotta use em, code. The slots in 2 screw are for inspector to see the little tail poking through. MC cutter on site, sidecutters doing service.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Anti-shorts, or ****. Red heads are the old 22 ramsets. Gotta use em, code. The slots in 2 screw are for inspector to see the little tail poking through. MC cutter on site, sidecutters doing service.
Oh what code?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,798 Posts
Whatever code the inspector wants to site I guess lol, it's all so matter of fact.
Wait a minute now..... You are not getting loose leaf amendments from the AHJ are you?

Reactions: Majewski

·
Hackenschmidt
13,262 Posts
The rotosplit works best, I store it with the MC and AC fittings, clamps etc., but I wouldn't make a trip to the truck for it for just a couple terminations. If you only have dikes, and you untwist the armor so it opens up, the insulation is pretty safe, and if you lay it back together and use a rendeck, it's fine, but not as nice as the rotozip, and a little slower. If you bend it in half hard to open up the armor and nip it with dikes, and jam it in a connector insisting that the rendeck is dumb, well yeah that's fastest, but a decent chance of damaging the insulation, and you only have to redo one to waste all the time you saved.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,963 Posts
The hole in those connectors is to see the red heads when using AC cable. That is in 320.40 (AC cable) There is no 330.40 (MC cable). There is no mention of insulated bushings in 330 at all! Did anybody read the NEMA bulletin posted? Somehow this misinformation about it being about the type of connector keeps on spreading.

I will try and use a red head with MC. But I know it is not required by code, regardless of what connector/clamp used.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,680 Posts
The rotosplit works best, I store it with the MC and AC fittings, clamps etc., but I wouldn't make a trip to the truck for it for just a couple terminations. If you only have dikes, and you untwist the armor so it opens up, the insulation is pretty safe, and if you lay it back together and use a rendeck, it's fine, but not as nice as the rotozip, and a little slower. If you bend it in half hard to open up the armor and nip it with dikes, and jam it in a connector insisting that the rendeck is dumb, well yeah that's fastest, but a decent chance of damaging the insulation, and you only have to redo one to waste all the time you saved.
A very simple idea, keeping the roto split in the tray of connectors. Thank you. Anything to keep the tool belt and tote light works for me.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts