Electrician Talk banner

Do you think LEDs are better than fluorescent for lighting?

• Nearly always

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • sometimes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • generally not

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Never

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The City of New York has been busy replacing all of the HPS cobra heads on it's highways with LEDs. I do notice far less glare, the roadway surface quite visible, much less spillage onto adjoining property, and color rendition just as lousy as the HPS were.

·
Super Moderator
16,343 Posts
Why all the hate for something that will save on energy costs?
I have been out of the loop for a while now, but and it seems LED is the way to go.
Is it because Obama is the president?

Lets see. Pasty face wins last election. Harry starts thread about the wonders of the republican party and how they are moving us into the 22nd century by pushing for LED technology.

·
Registered
10 Posts
last fall I installed LED's on our overhead cranes for bridge lighting. We ordered them in rugged enclosures and they a held up pretty good considering the High heat and dust coming from Large electric arc furnaces. Biggest advantages are more light less amperage light circuits

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Why all the hate for something that will save on energy costs?
I have been out of the loop for a while now, but and it seems LED is the way to go.
Is it because Obama is the president?

Lets see. Pasty face wins last election. Harry starts thread about the wonders of the republican party and how they are moving us into the 22nd century by pushing for LED technology.
Wow! You're showing your age John! You forgot to blame it on the religious folks. Did Algore invent LED technology as a sideline project whilst he was inventing the internet??:laughing:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
LED technology is still application specific. There's just some areas where it might not be the best but as technology improves, they're getting less and less. For any kind of coolers, freezers, reach in coolers etc. LED's blow fluorescents right out of the water. Every year, prices are coming down on LED's which make them more and more attractive. They've vastly improved the color rendition on them. I have yet to have a failure on an LED product that I've installed. You're still probably going to have to pay for what you get. JMHO

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
LED technology is still application specific. There's just some areas where it might not be the best but as technology improves, they're getting less and less. For any kind of coolers, freezers, reach in coolers etc. LED's blow fluorescents right out of the water. Every year, prices are coming down on LED's which make them more and more attractive. They've vastly improved the color rendition on them. I have yet to have a failure on an LED product that I've installed. You're still probably going to have to pay for what you get. JMHO

Id say your lucky :jester: or installing high end LEDs. Ive seen some LEDs fail after 1000 hours in a group relamp. Some no problems others I wouldnt really wish on anyone. I think it boils down to quality/

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
havent done a lot of them, but i am always watching, reading, looking at displays. my biggest concern is PRICE and the FACT that they havent been around popularly to prove their logevity. they are coming around as far as color and situation usefullness.

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts
LEDs are great in pots, freezers/coolers and similar applications. In the limited high bays we do, I much prefer fluorescent .

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I hate LED's, not because they are energy efficient but because the light is harsh and has a very sterile appearance. I love the natural warmth of incandescent light.

I think they have limited usage in security and roadway lighting. They are not suitable for indoor usage, IMO.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Led's are being pushed, by tax payer money, and power company money that you pay in your outrageous monthly bill for using 100 amps.

A huge amount of perfectly fine lighting fixtures are being ripped down and destroyed for no reason other than a political agenda.

There was nothing wrong with the mercury vapor cobra head street lights they have wasted for these LED's that cost $700 a pop! Those mercury vapor cobra head street lights would work for 20 years without a problem, and if they needed repair the cost of the stock( Lamp and Ballast) was less than $100, LED's you must replace the fixture at the big price...:no:
I actually agreed with something Harry said. :eek:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I hate LED's, not because they are energy efficient but because the light is harsh and has a very sterile appearance. I love the natural warmth of incandescent light.

I think they have limited usage in security and roadway lighting. They are not suitable for indoor usage, IMO.
Even 3000k LEDs? In certain fixtures many people have a hard time telling the difference. Usually where halogen was replaced.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts

Maybe you should be using 2700k instead of the old bright white ones. Go back to your plumbing..............:laughing:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
I actually agreed with something Harry said. :eek:
Around here, if I'm not mistaken, the rebates for LED's are the same as upgrading with fluorescents.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Of note is , most of the pre-retro energy audits i see here are pure conjecture.

To my knowledge, no post-retro followup exists, at least on my turf.

That our state board , being privy to our consumption, will send out the very same baited flyers to post retro's paints their math in a rather dubious light.....:no:~CS~:whistling2:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Of note is , most of the pre-retro energy audits i see here are pure conjecture.

To my knowledge, no post-retro followup exists, at least on my turf.

That our state board , being privy to our consumption, will send out the very same baited flyers to post retro's paints their math in a rather dubious light.....:no:~CS~:whistling2:
Probably the best thing to do to prevent "fudged data" is to do the audit yourself. Put an amp meter on the lighting circuit and show the customer the actual readout before and after.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I only fear BS Cap'n.

Any EC in a blue state with a green machine as big as ours should....

~CS~

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Probably the best thing to do to prevent "fudged data" is to do the audit yourself. Put an amp meter on the lighting circuit and show the customer the actual readout before and after.
Yes we could Wendon

I just think the entities providing the original audit should bear the responsibility of proving it's worth

~CS~

21 - 40 of 81 Posts