Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What are the main parts of refrigerant compressor.(don't remember the answers)
Crane hand signals.
apartment load calc.
What readings you get with a meter.(I was given an illustration with multiple metering locations and it asked what would the reading be at Volt Meter 3)

Thats all I can remember for now. If you can do a prep course I would try it. It sucked because it was on Saturdays for 8 hours but any chance you get to learn and prepare yourself do it.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
There is bound to be some safety garbage on there, along with a few trick questions that have easy answers.

I know one that sticks out in my mind is "what color is a #2 robertson?"

Some electronics troubleshooting, lots of code. Check out the diagrams section of the code book. We never even so much as looked at it in school and there were questions on the exam. Things like grounding diagrams and underground wire ampacities given different configurations.

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
Hi iam planning to write my construnction electrician exam but, i dont know exactly what to prepair for. Does anyone know or remember the questions on Canadian red seal electrical exam? Thanks
There are 110(when I took it in) questions on each version, and you get one of (IIRC)8 or 10 different tests randomly(so you don't get the same one as the guy next to you, or the next time you write if you fail!).

You need 70% min. For the red seal, so take a prep course, it is totally worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
took exam May 2011

Motor bank caluclation with PF and EFF
Max motor / Capacitor OC Devices etc

Voltage Drop questions

Box/ Conduit Fill questions

Service questions with panel/disco size, fuze size, feeder size

A few questions about specs of bulbs, ie HPS, Incandescent etc

The IP exam is weighted pretty much the same as we are taught through out our apprenticeship. You can bet that the topics covered heavily ( throughout all levels ) will be all over the exam. And then a few questions from the smaller subjects such as PLC, Electronics, Fire Alarm systems, and so on.

Pretty easy exam actually. Didnt study and passed with 89%:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Motor bank caluclation with PF and EFF
Max motor / Capacitor OC Devices etc

Voltage Drop questions

Box/ Conduit Fill questions

Service questions with panel/disco size, fuze size, feeder size

A few questions about specs of bulbs, ie HPS, Incandescent etc

The IP exam is weighted pretty much the same as we are taught through out our apprenticeship. You can bet that the topics covered heavily ( throughout all levels ) will be all over the exam. And then a few questions from the smaller subjects such as PLC, Electronics, Fire Alarm systems, and so on.

Pretty easy exam actually. Didnt study and passed with 89%:thumbsup:
The failure rate here in Ontario is over 60% so I wouldn't consider it that easy. We must have a harder test......or we are just stupid lol

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
cog
5,292 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. Have you went through those question? Is that really how your test is out west? Wow. There is no way it can be that easy.
The red seal is inter-provincial no? Same Test?

As for the 'out west' bit - I've heard that they finally cracked down on guys skipping over to Ontario to write their JM test (because it is easier) and then coming back to Alberta as a JM. That is what our Apprenticeship board is saying anyways.

I'm still a 4th yr anyway, so take it for what its worth:thumbsup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. Have you went through those question? Is that really how your test is out west? Wow. There is no way it can be that easy.
To be honest I haven't. Most of them looked pretty easy, I find the tests in school sometimes looked obvious but then once I got the answers you find there was a trick in the wording/etc.

Keep in mind this is the IP exam, you also have to pass your branch exam.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The red seal is inter-provincial no? Same Test?

As for the 'out west' bit - I've heard that they finally cracked down on guys skipping over to Ontario to write their JM test (because it is easier) and then coming back to Alberta as a JM. That is what our Apprenticeship board is saying anyways.

I'm still a 4th yr anyway, so take it for what its worth:thumbsup:
It is supposed to be that's the reasoning behind the inter-provincial. So basically anyone can work anywhere in Canada with it. I was told by the college and apprenticeship board representative here in Ontario that the failure rate is either 60 or 70% so I wouldn't say its an easy test.

·
Registered
625 Posts
CanadianSparky said:
It is supposed to be that's the reasoning behind the inter-provincial. So basically anyone can work anywhere in Canada with it. I was told by the college and apprenticeship board representative here in Ontario that the failure rate is either 60 or 70% so I wouldn't say its an easy test.
A lot of people here fail too because they don't care about getting their IP but get a free take from registering from school. I wouldn't associate failure rate with difficulty here.

·
Registered
781 Posts
CanadianSparky said:
Anywhere but Quebec

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not entirely true. Your contractor needs to have a masters license in Quebec (not unusual) but since Quebec is mandatory union and since 4 of the 5 unions in Quebec don't have any presence outside it limits things to outsiders somewhat. I used to live There and work with a number of guys who still do and they work in Ontario exclusively- the opportunities are better and less restrictive and they're treated well, not to mention that the pay package is far better.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.