Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was concerned about getting it. We are somewhat of a purple state so, what this means is that the most populated parts hunker down and the more rual parts are not that much concerned.
I have been traveling the state for work and noticed people are not much concerned about contracting Covid-19 outside of the SE part of Florida.
I tested negative for the antibodies but, still wear my PPE when esonntering a business or in close proximity of others. Just out of respect.
I know of one person that has Covid-19. He is home sick and is a maintenance guy at one of the facilities we had a project on.
I haven't seen him in a month or more.
My youngest son tested positive for the antibodies, he has been in Texas on military bases since early December.

I'm an electrician, not an epidemiologist. I don't know anything about their work and they don't know anything about mine so, neither of us is in a position to challenge each other in their field of knowledge.

My personal opinion is there has to be a balance somewhere. The service industry is taking a massive and possibly irrecoverable hit. I don't know of many people that in that biz except a few friends of my kids.
The very sad thing is they are called back to work with 2-day shifts, working for tips, so that the employers don't get hit with the unemployment expenses.
I don't know much about how it works but, I've done a hundred layoffs and didn't feel like it cost much of anything.
I don't understand the game.

I do believe very strongly that if you order a lockout of a person's livelihood, you should expect to pay for that order.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,535 Posts
I know one lady, nurse at A prison. She got it and her husband had to take care of her. HE was a high risk case with some unknown respiratory illness he has been fighting for years. He never got it or sick and she made a full recovery. Ages around 53 ish.

At work due to our business we are required to wear a mask, troubleshooting and meeting suck. Muuuum wooohf hard to undagtfgh. That’s what you hear when in meetings

Cowboy

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Don't know anyone who has it right now. Had an engineer with odd symptoms about 2-3 months ago. He called the doctor 3x over the course of a week and they wouldn't let him come in. When he finally fell on the floor, EMS took him away. Off he went into Covid Jail. They took his clothes, phone, everything. Zero contact. Nobody could find him. After 10 days they moved him out of Covid Jail and into another hospital where he was allowed to have his phone.

One of our customers I spoke with yesterday was in Covid Jail and she said he was pretty unpleasant waiting a month to see if you're going to survive. Certainly respect that.

A local DJ downtown (a mile away) died from it. Mid 30's male with wife & 2 kids. It was pretty early on. A shock to many. He had called several times and they wouldn't let him come in. Finally he got very ill and EMS took him off. Nobody ever saw him again. He lasted <1 week in the hospital. Very sad story.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
I know several, 1 death and the rest recovered or recovering.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
I know a number of people that have had it. One of my customers dodged the bullet even though his wife and daughter, both hospital pharmacists, got it.

Elderly relative in a nursing home tested positive but she never showed any sympton.

Last week, a new hire at one of my customers, just out of school, was one of a bunch of kids that attended a party on the weekend and were sick a week or so later.

Worst story I have heard, one of my fishing buddies, a friend of my dad, his neighbors. Their son was dying of cancer in Florida so they flew from their home in New York to see him and say good bye such as they could with the restrictions in place. They flew back to New York and were both dead within two weeks.

I have a number of friends and others that were sick as a dog early on but at that point did not get tested, so they are not sure whether they had the regular flu or COVID-19. Another customer got sick after some secondhand exposure but when tested, it wasn't COVID-19.

There are more.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,611 Posts
I don't know anybody with the COVID. I know quite a few people tested and all negative; they were tested because they work in LTHC or travelled at the beginning of this thing.

Canada is slowly moving back to "normal" now. We still have social distancing (line ups) in most stores. Colleges and universities are still closed for the most part. Most everything else is open or partly open.

In my area we have had 762 cases, 61 deaths (almost all LTHC). My little city has had the most cases (38), but again almost 100% LTHC; we have zero or one now.

Cheers
John

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
I do believe very strongly that if you order a lockout of a person's livelihood, you should expect to pay for that order.

I agree with this only as far as unemployment insurance for the people that work there, and I don't like the loopholes that excludes some people that work from protection.

I don't see the government is on the hook for the restrictions they impose in these situations. Pandemics are acts of God* not acts of government. It is entirely reasonable for the government to impose restrictions that effectively shut down these businesses in these situations. I do not think the management of restaurants can be entrusted to lay their own interests and the interests of their shareholders aside for the greater good of society. I do not think the government can pay for God's mess; that would basically be me and you and every taxpayer paying for the shareholders and executives bad fortune.

It's a slippery slope. Should the government have to pay the makers of mercury thermometers, asbestos pipe insulation, and lead paint in perpetuity?

Should I really have to bail out the Bellagio? Every day is a gamble in every business. When my luck was bad at Bellagio, you know what they offered me? Free drinks, as long as I kept gambling.

* Or acts of China, as the case may be, and I might be all for sending a bill to China.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,316 Posts
A nursing home employee near here tested positive (Had no symptoms), turned out that he infected 70 residents 10 of which died. Thank goodness they are COVID-19 free now.

A couple in their 50's who attend our church tested positive, she said that they were trying to be very careful and still have no clue how they contracted it. She was very ill with a high fever, bad cough, and difficulty breathing but has fully recovered. Her husband never had any symptoms.. go figure.

NOW GET THIS... We had another friend who died of a heart attack and the hospital listed him as a COVID-19 fatality. His wife threw a fit when she saw it listed that way. They told her that the State required an autopsy if she challenged the certificate... she did, and the coroner changed it to heart failure. You have to wonder if the hospitals are getting some kind of kickback.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
A nursing home employee near here tested positive (Had no symptoms), turned out that he infected 70 residents 10 of which died. Thank goodness they are COVID-19 free now.

A couple in their 50's who attend our church tested positive, she said that they were trying to be very careful and still have no clue how they contracted it. She was very ill with a high fever, bad cough, and difficulty breathing but has fully recovered. Her husband never had any symptoms.. go figure.

NOW GET THIS... We had another friend who died of a heart attack and the hospital listed him as a COVID-19 fatality. His wife threw a fit when she saw it listed that way. They told her that the State required an autopsy if she challenged the certificate... she did, and the coroner changed it to heart failure. You have to wonder if the hospitals are getting some kind of kickback.
There seems to be a connection between stroke and heart attacks with covid. I heard about this at least a month ago, having something to do with lack of oxygen getting to vital organs.

I have two friends that got it in DC and I know one old coworker that got it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
My 81 year old parent-in-law (son-in-laws mom) passed back in early May from COVID. She had several underlying conditions. She went into the hospital and was never seen alive again by the family. All in less then two weeks. Died on a ventilator. It was heartbreaking watching my son-in-law, daughter and grandkids go through this.

My granddaughter got sick from it for about two weeks. Daughter, husband and grandson tested positive, but in spite of being in the same house as my granddaughter, never got any symptoms to speak of. Go figure.

A 51 year long friendship with a flying buddy ended when he died of COVID in a nursing home up here in NY state. He died the day after his 80th birthday. He died on a ventilator. Not being able to see him before he passed just plain sucked.

This morning some of my family left for our Long Beach Island yearly vacation without me, my oldest son and his wife. My oldest son has some underlying conditions and he's not comfortable being in the same house with my daughter and her husband who happen to own a bar. My younger son is coming up from Charlotte and his wife works at a CVS pharmacy adding to the concern of sharing the same rental home with them.

Me, well I'm feeling pretty $hitty for not going, but I have a greater responsibility to to stay healthy and alive until at least the end of this month. More about that later after it happens.

I guess everyone's opinion and actions regarding this pandemic is going to vary based on their own personal experience with it. In my opinion, I think it makes sense to error on the safe side in favor of the science and facts and not make it a political $hit show out of it.

This thing doesn't discriminate. It could care less if you're a democrat or a republican or what you think your rights are about wearing a mask.

·
Premium Member
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the thoughtful replies guys.
We are fortunate to now have a small crew with all of our work outdoors.
I have been keeping the guys on 3 and 4 day work weeks with full pay just to reduce any exposure and right now, the horrific heat ave that won't quit.
My heart really goes out to those on the teetering edge of homelessness and those with foodservice and hospitality jobs that were just dropped off when this quarantine got the best of us.
Much prayers and hope for all of us and those folks working through it.
I'm very thankful we have a trade that is considered essential.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,386 Posts
My youngest daughter got it in February then we all got it. It was going around school since Christmas. My boss got it from his wife via the hospital (she is a nurse) in March. Not sure with the other guys but we do mostly day jobs so we’re all pretty sure we already had it.

Wearing a mask in the Southeast in a 95 degree/95% humidity heat wave while working is a recipe for heat injuries. We appease the office people. NO construction or maintenance crews are wearing masks, period. Nowhere. Not even municipal government workers. Anyone who thinks or says otherwise is blind. We all have plenty of experience with summer. We know how to handle it. You can’t even wear a respirator for very long when it’s an absolute must, and those are much better. We have guys falling out constantly at all the big job sites that try it then go down.

Hospitals saw it on X-Rays back in September or October. Wake Forest University did a detailed antibody test and estimates over a million people in North Carolina had it. This whole thing is a big joke that at best stretches it out to what...November 4th? Is that the goal?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,692 Posts
I usually say I am too poor to get sick. I cannot afford it.
But seriously I only know of 4 people who got sick from it and they are fine now. All but one worked in a hospital. I think at this point many people are not taking it as serious as they did months ago. Look at all the unused hospital beds, the open and allowed protests, the double talk and actions of the MSM. Complacency is one of the biggest causes of injury. Who knows what will happen in the future?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I don't know anybody with the Chi-vi 2020, and wearing a mask on a really noisy construction site (roofers nailing a 65k sq.ft roof is noisy) makes it real hard to communicate. It's hard without a mask.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also didn’t think that covid really existed until I went through it. After doing a covid 19 instant test, I was shocked to find out that I was infected, even though I had no symptoms. I'm glad it wasn't serious and I passed quickly, but a friend of mine was in serious condition in the hospital because of it. Next week I plan to do another test and make sure everything is fine.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,562 Posts
I also didn't think that covid really existed until I went through it.
I was just going to type that I hoped this was evidence enough of the non-believers. It is too bad that it took you to get it before you would believe it. Unfortunately there are still tons of people denying what IMO, should be impossible to deny, that it exists.

I know of a few deaths and quite a few that had it were hospitalized and then some that had it but had no symptoms.

Are the conspiracy people really believing that this is a gov't run scam on American people??? And then all the other countries are lying about it also....I don't think so....

Steven I hope you don't have any long term affects...

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,379 Posts
My wife and I both had it. My granddaughter got it. Had we followed the recommendations last Christmas we never would have got it.
We allowed people in that were infected. Of course we did not know until they got symptoms and we got symptoms.
But had I stuck to my guns and forbid anyone to come here, we would have never been exposed and subsequently sick.
It was a bad sickness. Different than anything I have had before.
Today we can say both of us are vaccinated and fully recovered?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts