Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The question always arises, Is Fire Rated Clothing really needed.
Not only electricians, but anyone who is working where there is a chance of a fire should look at fire rated clothing as a must have, we can think of several senarios where fire rated clothing would be required, not because it is required by NFPA70, but because we love our families. Arc Flash jumps into our minds as we are Electricians, no wait, QUALIFIED ELECTRICIANS!! But what about other trades, let's look at a senerio,
An electrician has a hobby of rebuilding old cars, The electrician is working on a motor, removing the carb, he puts the carb in a tub to contain the fuel that remains in the carb. Picking up the tub to move it to an outside area his partner starts to grind on metal about 20 feet away, With the grinder not reaching the spot needed to be ground, he tilts the grinder sparks fly out of the shop and land in the tub being carried by the electrician, The fuel ignites, sending fuel from the tub and onto the electrician, who is engulfed in a fireball.
Being he is working in his shop, not on live electrical he is wearing a poly/cotton shirt that starts to burn, the electrician tries to get the shirt off but as it burns it is melting, Now he suffers 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his arms, chest and neck, a lenghty stay in the burn unit and lost wages, not to mention his altered looks.
Could this senario happen to you? It did happen to me, today, and I am proud to say that I was wearing a fire rated shirt, I always wear F/R clothing when I am doing any type of work.
I do have 1st and 2nd degree burns on my hands, alot less hair and a shirt that will never be worn again, it will be used as a training aid. I teach Safety, and even taking all the right steps someone elses actions this happened to me.
Does Fire Rated really work, Hell yes it does!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fire Rated (F/R) is an interesting concept. We have some fire rated stuff that’s like an overcoat, and a snowsuit. I’m sure that it is fire rated.

Our uniforms are 100% cotton because we work around live electrical panels. I hardly think that cotton is considered fire rated, but is certainly a few shades better than poly-cotton. I wear this uniform on occasional side jobs as well, and have been accused of wearing them on vacation.

You didn’t mention what the F/R clothing that you wear during the normal course of your work is made of, except we can assume it’s not poly-cotton (that would leave out most Hawaiian shirts). Would you care to comment further on this specific topic?

PS: Yep, our F/R snowsuit and overcoat combo did come with accessories, a hard hat, gloves, and a nice face shield and we added a pull rope.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.