Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to tempt the discussion gods on whether or not NCVT's are useful, dangerous, or whatever. Mine seems to work as expected, except sometimes it seems to speak in codes. When held near a neutral on an energized circuit, for instance, it will sometimes blink in a way that makes me think it's trying to tell me something. long-long-short-long-long-short ... or whatever. I've looked around for literature that might explain, but find nothing. Am I hallucinating, or is there a secret decoder ring?

·
Lucky to be Alive
345 Posts
I have that same unit.

The NCVT-2 is a "dual range". When it is flashing, it is indicating a voltage between 12V and 48V. When it is on solid, it is indicating a voltage above 48V. Since it detects all the way down to 12V, it is really sensitive, and can sometimes pick up voltage from another wire. This might be what you are seeing. You can take it out of this sensitive mode, and make it only work from 50V up. When the Blue light is on, it is in the sensitive mode. When the Green light is on, it works like a standard tick tracer.

It you don't do low voltage stuff, just keep it in Green mode all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.