Electrician Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Just because you touched asbestos doesn't mean you gunna die a horrible death tomorrow ! It just means it's possible,
and even then the chances are still very low.
So don't panic!
Be aware of what it looks like,
and minimise exposure where possible,
But being an electrician chances are
you are going to come into contact with it from time to time.
Again doesn't mean your gunna die.
A bit of common sense
and you will probably die from something else
in the mean time.

View attachment 45025

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
When I was a little kid in the early 60's, childrens pajamas contained asbestos.
Asbestos was in floor tiles,roofing tiles, siding, brake pads,wire insulation, some wallbording, etc. etc....
It was a miracle material used in all sorts of applications. Somehow those of us from that era are still around. Don't sweat it so much. Try to limit your future exposure.
There was a pretty awesome program I watched about the way Cubans keep cars on the road (Detroit steel, Argentine, Russian). They talked with a guy that resurfaced brakes and clutches. He had his own compound, including asbestos of course, that he molded to the brake shoe/pad/clutch metal. Baked it in an oven to cure it, and then sanded it smooth. No dust mask, no respirator, nothing. On the one hand I was in awe, because it didn't matter if the metal was bent or warped since he was sanding it level, but on the other hand, baking asbestos in the same oven you make dinner in and standing there in a cloud of asbestos dust:eek:.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
How much vermiculite insulation have we all dealt with? Asbestos in that as well. My company is certified for asbestos O&M, so we are legal to work in attics or walls containing vermiculite or any other asbestos containing product. In WI, not sure about any other state, it is one hell of a large fine (up to $25,000) if you are caught in a vermiculite attic without proper containment, suits, full face masks, and negative pressure in the attic (or disturbing any other type of asbestos).

Setting up the containment and negative pressure is a pain in the ass, but the state contracts we have require it and those are worth way more than a little plastic and tape and crap.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts