Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think it does, got a call about a panel smoking and some other misc. Repairs. Murray makes a great job security panel , I found a stab under a 2 pole completely burned away. Long story short, I made $1k in a matter of 4 laid back hours . That's way much better than what I was making busting my but in extreme weather doing construction.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Shockdoc said:
I'm starting to think it does, got a call about a panel smoking and some other misc. Repairs. Murray makes a great job security panel , I found a stab under a 2 pole completely burned away. Long story short, I made $1k in a matter of 4 laid back hours . That's way much better than what I was making busting my but in extreme weather doing construction. Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app
Margins are better in service than construction. Accounts receivable are lower as well because it is (should be) COD. No chasing money. It also seems to require less overhead too. Oh, and the biggest benefit, NO G.C.s.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mentioned in the other thread you've been in business since 99, have you not done ANY service work? All new construction?
I ran combination when I started out, doing service calls after hours or emergency. In the old economy I made more money in construction. People tend to just want it done and not shop around when vital equipment fails. They have all the time to shop around for new construction.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Service work can be a cash cow for a FR EC , or for those who just take their sweet time (and charge for it):thumbup:

Unfortunately , it's usually the focus of those who openly admit they won't bid bigger jobs;)

No EC guts, no EC glory!:whistling2:

~CS~

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Service work can be a cash cow for a FR EC , or for those who just take their sweet time (and charge for it):thumbup:

Unfortunately , it's usually the focus of those who openly admit they won't bid bigger jobs;)

No EC guts, no EC glory!:whistling2:

~CS~
I worked for a small firm that had a medium size construction division and had 3 sometime 4 service trucks on the road, the owner use to tell us the service guys kept cash flow going in between draws and allowed him to make payroll every week.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I worked for a small firm that had a medium size construction division and had 3 sometime 4 service trucks on the road, the owner use to tell us the service guys kept cash flow going in between draws and allowed him to make payroll every week.
I've worked the same sm joints as well Bad one, with the same basic jist

What i'm saying is, there are exclusive outfits capitalizing on service work, not wanting anything else

~CS~

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I've worked the same sm joints as well Bad one, with the same basic jist

What i'm saying is, there are exclusive outfits capitalizing on service work, not wanting anything else

~CS~
We survived off service and testing and service is still a large part of our business.

Today I looked at a 1200 amp ATS fried coil and a GE HPC that would not operate. Both will lead to nice repairs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.