Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Funny thing is that the wrong brand of breakers isn't why it failed. That is how Siemens breakers fail in their own panels.
I edited my post, especially after scrutiny of the panning in the video when he starts wiggling the breaker.

I still am not the type to intentionally void manufacturer's warranties, and would not want to face a customer or inspector with mismatched breakers, and I am only an apprentice.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My company got failed once for having like 3 or 4 different types of breakers in a panel :lol:

And we've had to "adjust" a breaker to make it work before. Not proud of it. Wasn't my decision.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
At one time we stocked T&B 'classified breakers'.....>

IIRC, they fit 7 or 8 panels prevalent to the American market.;)

Unfortunately there is more than just 'classified' , because once the NRTL's granted T&B to legally invade other panel makes, the other panel manufacturers countered with warranty claims against them:whistling2:

The irony is, the majority of step in resi breakers are all manufactured in 3rd world sweat shops with the 'stamp du jour' of the day.....:rolleyes:~CS~:laughing:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I came up through the low end contractor route. I was shown how to cut the clip out of the twin or quad Bryant breakers so we could install them on a buss that did not have the V cut in it. It was by the same guy that had his side cutters welded from the hot lug of the line side of a meter base to the enclosure.

And we never were concerned about putting different manufacturers breakers in a panel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Classified or not if a problem occurs, fire or anything for that matter and a insurance company gets involved and finds a breaker of a different manufacture in the panel they could nullify the claim. I don't want that over my head and I always install the breaker that is needed for a particular panel. Customer may have to wait a bit until I find one but that's the way it goes or they can find someone else to do the job. Most have been appreciative of that thought and understand completely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Strange to me all paneland breaker mfgs. make breakers for their competitors products. Except square D, QO panels and Cutler Hammer CH.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts