Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heard some one discussing this before about using different breakers for different panels.
Seems that someone said it was against code. Show me the reference in the code book please? Panels have a U/L listing, breakers have a U/L listing.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
The reference is 110.3(B)

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

Reactions: hardworkingstiff

·
Registered
46 Posts
We install all Siemens products in all of our new construction, but the HVAC contractor has caused a red tag a few times because he insists upon installing Eaton brand beakers in our panels. His excuse is "they fit and they are cheaper" even after a fail. The first time I tried to educate him and the builder his response was to download the UL listing from the internet and tape it to the front of the panel neither I nor the inspector were impressed. Even after all of this he still installs Eaton and most inspectors don't notice. Sometimes you can't fight city hall.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
While argued about here, if he installs the Eaton CL breakers, he has a leg to stand on. Regular BR, not so much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While argued about here, if he installs the Eaton CL breakers, he has a leg to stand on. Regular BR, not so much.
Pretty sure they are the regular BR as noticed by an savvy inspectors but I will check at the next house.:thumbsup:

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
CL breakers are likely more expensive than a Siemens QP. I didn't think BR was listed for anything other than BR panels, Westinghouse, Bryant etc.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Heard some one discussing this before about using different breakers for different panels.
Seems that someone said it was against code. Show me the reference in the code book please? Panels have a U/L listing, breakers have a U/L listing.
110.3b as I said before. Read it learn it love it.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
We install all Siemens products in all of our new construction, but the HVAC contractor has caused a red tag a few times because he insists upon installing Eaton brand beakers in our panels. His excuse is "they fit and they are cheaper" even after a fail. The first time I tried to educate him and the builder his response was to download the UL listing from the internet and tape it to the front of the panel neither I nor the inspector were impressed. Even after all of this he still installs Eaton and most inspectors don't notice. Sometimes you can't fight city hall.
Why is the HVAC contractor wiring stuff to your panels? Isnt that what electricians are for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why is the HVAC contractor wiring stuff to your panels? Isnt that what electricians are for?
The builder we work for likes things in neat packages, that being said HVAC is responsible for all of his wiring. Also they often finish out "especially in winter" before we do and the builder likes the heat on.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Here is the issue. UL listed the panel for the manufacturer breakers only as that was all they tested them for. So UL says only manufacturer breakers

Then UL or some 3rd party testing lab tests these other manufacturers breakers and says they are safe to install in those panels. So now we are in a pickle.

I know around here there has been some movement to not allow these other breakers as they do not follow the 110.3(B) rule.

Are they safe-- IMO, absolutely but that doesn't help you much if the authority having jurisdiction turns it down.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
It clearly states right here I can use Siemens in all of these panels! Must be ok.
It says fuse boxes, that's even more ridiculous. :blink::laughing:

But, at least they aren't dumb enough to put Square D on that list.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Rns said:
It clearly states right here I can use Siemens in all of these panels! Must be ok.
Is this a Joke? I hope some HD electrical aisle delinquent didn't print this up and hang it up for real.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts