Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a buddy of mine's house; he posted these pics on Facebook last night. Last night while walking past his service he happened to notice a glow coming from the spot where the TV cable's ground was terminated. He had the power company out last night, and was told everything's fine on their end. The cable guys wouldn't come out until today, so last night for fear his house might burn down, he cut off their ground (which stopped the hot spot).

I talked to him this morning. It's not rust on the pipe in the picture; it's paint flaking off due to the heat; and the ground was not terminated on top of the paint (house was painted afterwards). Wondering what the cable guy did/found today...

Attachments

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
I showed a lady a glowing red wire in her panel once she didn't wanna do anything about it.
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did you check for an open neutral? :eek:
No, I haven't been out there (yet). I did loan him one of my meters this afternoon so he could check a couple of things when he got home (I wasn't expecting much from the cable guy).

I heard what the cable guy did today while we were at work though. Claimed it's not his wire, "that's from the power company." :whistling2:

...and then the tech left. I was expecting a little more, like maybe "dude, you need to call an electrician".

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree on the open neutral. Cutting that CATV ground off while the house was still energized was not a good idea and could do more harm than good if it was carrying neutral current. The main should be opened until someone qualified gets there.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I'm surprised the coax line didn't melt and droop to the ground from the amount of current it was carrying. :blink:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
This is a buddy of mine's house; he posted these pics on Facebook last night. Last night while walking past his service he happened to notice a glow coming from the spot where the TV cable's ground was terminated. He had the power company out last night, and was told everything's fine on their end. The cable guys wouldn't come out until today, so last night for fear his house might burn down, he cut off their ground (which stopped the hot spot).

I talked to him this morning. It's not rust on the pipe in the picture; it's paint flaking off due to the heat; and the ground was not terminated on top of the paint (house was painted afterwards). Wondering what the cable guy did/found today...
Nice, A meter socket with it's own light, how thoughtful.

:eek::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
12,411 Posts

Since this is a professional electrician's forum...what do you think could be possibly wrong...and why?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't end up going over there. My buddy noticed voltage issue at his main and had the power company come back out AGAIN. They showed up with 3 trucks this time. It was an open neutral on their end caused by a tree and the lovely spring weather we've been having.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
The problem is. The new smart meter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts