Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woman gets $3,500 fine and bad credit score for writing negative review of business.

In 2009, Jen Palmer’s husband bought her some Christmas gifts from KlearGear.com. When the merchandise still hadn’t arrived a month later, PayPal closed the transaction and refunded her money.

Palmer tried to contact the company to inquire about the order, but couldn't get in touch with anyone. Frustrated, she wrote a critical review of the company on RipoffReport.com and moved on.

But as KUTV reports, KlearGear.com resurfaced three years later and has turned Palmer’s life upside down, slapping her with a $3,500 fine and reporting her to the nation’s three major credit agencies.

"This is fraud," Palmer told the station. "They're blackmailing us for telling the truth."

Here’s what happened. Tucked away in the agreement language almost no one ever reads, was a clause stating that anyone who buys something from the website agrees to never publicly criticize the website.

The exact language reads:

"In an effort to ensure fair and honest public feedback, and to prevent the publishing of libelous content in any form, your acceptance of this sales contract prohibits you from taking any action that negatively impacts kleargear.com, its reputation, products, services, management or employees."

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-gets--3-500-fine-and-bad-credit-score-for-writing-negative-review-of-business-233833012.html

:thumbup::laughing:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
If I ever read a clause like that in a sub contractors contract I likely would not use that contractor. To me it says "we're not very good at what we do".

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Having never purchased anything from them, I guess I can write up a scathing review and say whatever I damned well please.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
So?

I put 'acts of God' in my contracts

I'm always willing to serve as liaison explaning why God thinks they're an azzhole too!

~CS~

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
If PayPal closed the account and refunded her money, she never purchased anything from them and is free to do what she pleases. If they try to use the purchase agreement fine print as evidence, it won't stand up because they never delivered the product and voided the agreement.
I agree. Furthermore they should seek tort and damages for the reports to the CRAs under the FDCPA and FCRA.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
.... was most likely written in silver ink and on the back of page 6...lawyers, the used car salesmen of our generation...and deservingly so..

·
Conservitum Americum
8,754 Posts
A fine from a private company? Pshaww!

I would own that company and the future earnings of all the owner's children!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting, any legally binding contract has to have a legal object. One could argue it is an illegal contract in the sense that it prohibits negative but truthful statement that by definition are not libelous .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts