Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a source for a chime that will do four doors? I can find them for three, but not four. I have a customer who wants to have a chime button at four different doors (large house) and have it sound in several places throughout the home. He also desires to know which door the person is ringing.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO IDEA, but what are you running for conductors? and the transformer?
Answers to both depend wholly on what I come up with for a chime. It's starting to look like I might have to use door boxes that ring the phone.

·
DGFVT
2,532 Posts
Here you go. :thumbsup:
You can use 24 VDC for the door bell push button wiring and use 24 VDC, 24 VAC or 120 VAC for the chime /bell.
All you need is a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller), which by the way I can supply already programmed for you. All you need is to run the wire and install in a suitable enclosure.
Operator interfaces are optional as is TCP/IP.

The chime/bell ON-OFF times can be programmed to the customer’s or your preferences.

That will be $500.00 COD:rolleyes:
This includes a 1year warranty on material and 1.5 hours free reprogramming.

View attachment 167

View attachment 166

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did something similar on a system for deaf people, it was lights, not chimes, they added more doors and had three lights so I added a couple relays so multiple lights (instead of just one light) would indicate the new doors. I haven't touched a doorbell in years but if I remember correctly those 3 way bells have a different tone for each location, adding a relay that sounds two chimes should give it an additional tone that's different and you could mount additional units wired in parallel.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here you go. :thumbsup:
You can use 24 VDC for the door bell push button wiring and use 24 VDC, 24 VAC or 120 VAC for the chime /bell.
All you need is a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller), which by the way I can supply already programmed for you. All you need is to run the wire and install in a suitable enclosure.
Operator interfaces are optional as is TCP/IP.

The chime/bell ON-OFF times can be programmed to the customer’s or your preferences.

That will be $500.00 COD:rolleyes:
This includes a 1year warranty on material and 1.5 hours free reprogramming.

View attachment 167

View attachment 166
What kind of PLC is that? I havent seen that ladder before. I know that Siemens uses Q for outputs.

The only problem I see is rung 5 with your and circuits. That means the button would need to be held on for a half second for switch #1, 1 sec for #2, 1.5 sec for #3 and finally, switch #4 would need to be held down for 2 full seconds for the bell to come on. If someone came up and gave the button a quick tap, the bell wouldnt come on. A simple latching coil for each switch could take care of that.

·
DGFVT
2,532 Posts
What kind of PLC is that? I havent seen that ladder before. I know that Siemens uses Q for outputs.

The only problem I see is rung 5 with your and circuits. That means the button would need to be held on for a half second for switch #1, 1 sec for #2, 1.5 sec for #3 and finally, switch #4 would need to be held down for 2 full seconds for the bell to come on. If someone came up and gave the button a quick tap, the bell wouldnt come on. A simple latching coil for each switch could take care of that.
The program is for an IDEC PLC.

I was bored and just doodling so the program is not perfect. What do you expect for 15 minutes of programming time? That is why I included 1.5 hrs of free reprogramming. :whistling2:

Actually a better way to fix it would to change relay contacts M1, M3, M5 and M7 from NO contacts to NC contacts on Rung 5. Then the bell would go on right when the push button is pushed.

By the way Who is Paying for this?:brows:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Well, I didn't intend to threadjack MD's thread, but in the Kiss Documentary Exposed, Paul Stanley's doorbell plays the chime to Rock 'n Roll All Nite. When I do buy a house I swear to God I want a chime that does this. Any suggestions on where to find something like this or how I could possibly build one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.