Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

There is an issue I have been dealing with for a very long time that I cannot figure out. Every time I install a new lighted doorbell button for my doorbell system the light fails prematurely. By prematurely, I mean within two months. I thought that maybe I have a 24V transformer and not a 16V so I installed a 24V non-lighted doorbell button and it did not even allow the doorbell function to work. From that, I figured that the transformer was less than 24V. I have tried two different brands of replacement buttons and had the same results. The correct wiring is being used; it is solid core copper bell wire. A diode is used for the doorbell to allow the full melody to play and I am wondering if it may have a reason as to why the light keeps failing. The light inside the button is an LED so it should most definitely last more than two months. My diode is very old and I have read that if it is installed in the wrong direction it can cause improper arcing. I do not see any dampness or water in the doorbell area. It is underneath an extended roof. I am not really sure what to look for at this point. Does anyone have some ideas as to what is causing this?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello everyone,

There is an issue I have been dealing with for a very long time that I cannot figure out. Every time I install a new lighted doorbell button for my doorbell system the light fails prematurely. By prematurely, I mean within two months. I thought that maybe I have a 24V transformer and not a 16V so I installed a 24V non-lighted doorbell button and it did not even allow the doorbell function to work. From that, I figured that the transformer was less than 24V. I have tried two different brands of replacement buttons and had the same results. The correct wiring is being used; it is solid core copper bell wire. A diode is used for the doorbell to allow the full melody to play and I am wondering if it may have a reason as to why the light keeps failing. The light inside the button is an LED so it should most definitely last more than two months. My diode is very old and I have read that if it is installed in the wrong direction it can cause improper arcing. I do not see any dampness or water in the doorbell area. It is underneath an extended roof. I am not really sure what to look for at this point. Does anyone have some ideas as to what is causing this?

Hello Brad Welcome to the forum:thumbsup:,replace all the components,if that does not work then your bell wire is damaged somehow.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.