Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started wearing bifocals in my 30's. I am now into trifocals :( . I had an eye test today and asked about being able to see what I am doing when looking up (like working on light fixtures). One solution might be Double D lenses. They aren't progressive lenses. They have the traditional D shaped segment on the bottom but they can also put another "D" up top in a power that makes things clear at arms length.

I would be putting these in safety frames with clear shields on the sides and a barrier up top.

Does anybody use them?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I am near blind without my glasses and I can foresee these being useful for some things, but I would not want these to be my only pair. I think that a person would need more distance vision area for driving and general use.

Let me know how these work out for you.

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am near blind without my glasses and I can foresee these being useful for some things, but I would not want these to be my only pair. I think that a person would need more distance vision area for driving and general use.

Let me know how these work out for you.
These would be strictly for work. They're checking to see if they can fit the Double D into the safety frame.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I want to put these in a safety frame similar to this. In addition to being able to see, I want to keep chit out of my eyes. We aren't sure yet if the lens is big enough to accommodate the Double D.
Nice frames. I got Uvex Titmus SW06 frames and regular prescription lenses, but I'm considering getting progressives. I drive in them as well and with how narrow the lenses are top-to-bottom, I think a non-progressive lens would be really distracting.

It too me a long time to get used to them with the side barriers. I felt like I had tunnel vision for about two weeks. Adding visible cut lines to that would have forced me out of the glasses in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is one of the main reasons that I wear contacts. I can't stand looking over or under my glasses. They are in my lunch box in case I loose a contact. Have you tried contacts? It took a little to use to them but now I can't imagine seeing with the them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.