Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you feeding the lights and GFI separately or are you extending one of the circuits to another location?

Check 210.11(C)(3)
Working in a house right now that is getting partly remodeled. The one bathroom is being fed by a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. The outlet is separate from the lights. I'm just thinking if someone plugs in a hair dryer and straightener then the breaker trips and then the lights go out too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't overthink...

You would be in the dark if a single pole breaker controlling the lighting tripped as well.
Right. If the gfci was on its own breaker, and not a multi wire circuit, then I wouldn't be as concerned. But it is on a multi wire branch circuit and overloading the gfci would cause the 2pole breaker to trip.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,669 Posts
Right. If the gfci was on its own breaker, and not a multi wire circuit, then I wouldn't be as concerned. But it is on a multi wire branch circuit and overloading the gfci would cause the 2pole breaker to trip.
You could "what If" all day long and drive yourself crazy.
What if the transformer fails, you are still in the dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.