Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
There could be more code implications than just the suitability of the lug for more than one conductor (which in this case I seriously doubt that lug is approved for more than one).

The additional conductor becomes a service conductor and is essentially unfused until it reaches an OCPD.

Another consideration would be the grouping of service disconnects.

Pete

Reactions: cmhcissell

·
Registered
625 Posts
A lug rated for more than 1 conductor looks like a snowman from the top..although I dont think this is the case for a 200 amp panel. I d like to hear where that wire is going and if there are other conductors with it.

learning to learn

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Any time you tap a main like that it would think it is a violation. Tap rules also come to mind. I see AC contractors doing this to add a two circuit panel for their condensers. The only thing I would think is not a violation is a surge arrestor. Even that you still have the lug rating issue.

I don't know about the olden days, but fire pumps should come In as there own services. To tap that of the main lugs like this would surely be a violation. If it had it's own tap section off of the service entrance conductors then it would be ok.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Most of the old installs , at least on my turf, were daisy chained via this DT method

I'm guessing it may not have been a huge sin for the last generation of sparkies , being they seem so prevalent

~CS~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.