Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone drug up a paying job with a con to work for another? if so, how did it work out? dragging up is alright when there is a ton of work, but what happens when it dries up?

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
has anyone drug up a paying job with a con to work for another? if so, how did it work out? dragging up is alright when there is a ton of work, but what happens when it dries up?
Dragging up is rude and I don't do it. I know some contractors around here will put you on their do not start list if you drag up on them once.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dragging up is rude and I don't do it. I know some contractors around here will put you on their do not start list if you drag up on them once.
even to go out on a foreman call? [from a regular jiw call]

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
even to go out on a foreman call? [from a regular jiw call]
If your hall is giving you a foreman ticket then they are gonna contact the first job and request the layoff...which is not really dragging up.

The subtle difference is whom is requesting the layoff - if it is my idea then it is dragging up, the hall's idea, then it is a clean layoff and they will replace me on the first job.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
"Dragging up" was a common phrase when I was a "pup". It epitomized one's independence and those who used it wanted to make a statement. Those who did it for insufficient reasons usually regretted it. Think twice...or more.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Drag up and go non union. You will be better in the long run. Unions are on the way out anyway.
In my opinion your sentiment is correct in the respect that Union popularity is waning. Any time that jobs are on the down- low it affects all segments of the work force. However, I have never heard a person tell me that they would not take a job because it is UNION. That speaks bundles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your hall is giving you a foreman ticket then they are gonna contact the first job and request the layoff...which is not really dragging up.

The subtle difference is whom is requesting the layoff - if it is my idea then it is dragging up, the hall's idea, then it is a clean layoff and they will replace me on the first job.
When you referred to the hall calling you out as a foreman, I hope you realize this only happens in a couple of locals around the USA? Most of the rest of the country consider foreman call out to be unethical and or book jumping by those who have waited their turn on the out of work list.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When you referred to the hall calling you out as a foreman, I hope you realize this only happens in a couple of locals around the USA? Most of the rest of the country consider foreman call out to be unethical and or book jumping by those who have waited their turn on the out of work list.
What's up Noah. Doesn't our local do this? I'm unclear

1 - 20 of 35 Posts