Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,432 Posts
I pretty much will use what my supplier sells. I know the augers are greenlee and they are fine. Can't remember what the hole saws are-- I think Lennox

·
Registered
105 Posts
Standard drill bits, I just buy cheap Ryobi. I used to buy DeWalt or Milwaukee I figure someone always ends up breaking one or dulls it out. Or I just lose them :O. Thus I figure it's better just to buy cheap ones more often.

Unibits, I have an Irwin and a Greenlee. I prefer the Greenlee

Augers, my Milwaukee is awesome.

Spades, I can't remember, I don't use them much.

Hole saws are also Milwaukee. However, my company replaces them with Lennox as they break down so now it's a mix.

My taps are Greenlee. I love those babies. The tap and drill bit are the same bit.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
like c.s., itrash them all, but i learned how to put a good edge on a spade bit just with a bench grinder. on some jobs i have to do 4 or 5 bits a day! old plaster sucks!:censored:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm amazed the Bosch daredevil spade bits are as cheap as they are, considering how well they hold up.

I use cheap Ryobi twist bits (found them clearance for $4 at a HD which usually has the kit at $10, bought them out) and although they don't stay as sharp as my DeWalts, still were a great value.

I am a big fan of Greenlee's unibit, and still have one from over a year ago before Lowe's decided it hates electricians.

Masonry bits are all Bosch, and impact bits are DeWalt. I love my Milwaukee power tools and sawzall blades, but had a bad experience with their shockwave "impact rated" bits and will never buy Milwaukee bits again.

Had a great US made Klein carbide cutter, and tried to replace it with a Taiwan made bit, it is junk.

Always had good luck with Lenox hole-saw bits.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Considering I use my fuel Impact for just about everything, I use either Dewalt or Milwaukee impact rated thin wall hole saws-http://www.milwaukeetool.com/press-...ve-thin-wall-hole-saws-40-faster-cuts-2x-life

Dewalts titanium Impact step bit-http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA1789IR-8-Inch-1-1-8-Inch-Impact/dp/B0090IHBQE
I have a klein and Milwaukee step bit for larger applications.

and again either Dewalt or Milwaukee Impact rated twist bits-http://www.dewalt.com/tool-parts/impact-driver-ready-accessories-drill-bits-dd5008.aspx....they are made from a single peice of metal and last much longer than other 1/4" hex shank bits.

·
Estwing magic
27,399 Posts
A Daredevil spade works well with a quick change extension. If you get into a tight spot, you can take off the extension and just use the bit. Store here has them on sale for $2.50 each (good price here in Bendover). Hope they have lots of stock because I'll buy a bucket full.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.