Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to drill through a poured concrete wall that also has styrofoam insulation and has stucco with (I assume) metal lathe holding the stucco.
The HO said everything together was probably about 12" thick.

I'm probably going to need a 2" hole if I use 1-1/2" pvc. I'm guessing a core drill would be best, but I've never used a core bit before.
Is that the best way, and if so, what kind would I need to drill through both the poured concrete and the lathe/stucco?

I have a web site that I use to buy drill bits from and they have the core bits but they are expensive.
do they rent those in the rental places?

Thanks!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I need to drill through a poured concrete wall that also has styrofoam insulation and has stucco with (I assume) metal lathe holding the stucco.

I'm probably going to need a 2" hole if I use 1-1/2" pvc. I'm guessing a core drill would be best, but I've never used a core bit before.
Is that the best way, and if so, what kind would I need to drill through both the poured concrete and the lathe/stucco?

I have a web site that I use to buy drill bits from and they have the core bits but they are expensive.

Thanks!

A core bit is best for this job,you've got to make sure that it looks perfect,by the bit it will pay for itself over time.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Thanks!
I would drill a 2 1/2" hole. You should re-foam.
1 1/2"
PVC od is 2". That'll be tight.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Best core drilling I ever witnessed was freehand; guy walked up to a brick wall with 5" diamond hole saw w/glooves on a electrical hand drill and sent it right through. It still stumps me when I think about.

I'd get a 1' long pilot bit(predrill), and a appropriate bit for auger.

PPE and Go Steady.

:rockon:

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would probably lean towards renting a handheld wet core drill. The wet core bits are much deeper than the typical dry core bit and will leave a lot cleaner hole with very little or no blowout in the block or masonry.

Also, with wet core it will go through rebar if there is any in the poured block. Dry core, if you hit rebar, usually means you have to start over in another spot. It's doesn't make for a very clean job when you leave a partially drilled hole in the wrong spot.

Or, you can hire it out.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would probably lean towards renting a handheld wet core drill. The wet core bits are much deeper than the typical dry core bit and will leave a lot cleaner hole with very little or no blowout in the block or masonry.

Also, with wet core it will go through rebar if there is any in the poured block. Dry core, if you hit rebar, usually means you have to start over in another spot. It's doesn't make for a very clean job when you leave a partially drilled hole in the wrong spot.

Or, you can hire it out.
The inside is covered with drywall, so it would probably be best to drill from outside-in. It also would come out in a cubby hole in a pantry where the panel is. Blow out on the inside wouldn't be as bad.

How hard would the hand held core drill be to use if the hole was about 5'-6' off the ground?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hire it out.

If you sub out a single 2" hole and the kids find out they will all laugh at you.

Rent a hand held core drill. Run a pilot bit through the wall. Cut out some drywall around the pilot hole and stuff the cavity full of rags to catch the sump. Start from the outside and drill it.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
The inside is covered with drywall, so it would probably be best to drill from outside-in. It also would come out in a cubby hole in a pantry where the panel is. Blow out on the inside wouldn't be as bad.

How hard would the hand held core drill be to use if the hole was about 5'-6' off the ground?
core drilling is only hard when the bit gets hung up and the machine spins, so drilling solid walls is often done by bolting the machine to the wall/floor to avoid that and be able to drill faster. if you are careful you can do it on a ladder since it's only a 2" hole. A lot of homes have hollow block and core drilling is nicer, but not necessary. for a 2" hole it's probably overkill x 2.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
core drilling is only hard when the bit gets hung up and the machine spins, so drilling solid walls is often done by bolting the machine to the wall/floor to avoid that and be able to drill faster. if you are careful you can do it on a ladder since it's only a 2" hole. A lot of homes have hollow block and core drilling is nicer, but not necessary. for a 2" hole it's probably overkill x 2.
This is a solid poured concrete wall with stucco on the outside.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
This is a solid poured concrete wall with stucco on the outside.
It's no problem. Go rent a big hammer drill and bit from HD or your local rental place.

The hammer drill is heavy so if the hole is 5 or 6 feet up use a 5 or 6 foot ladder to rest the drill on.

You will have to push a little but mostly just let her hammer away. You will be through in no time.

You can do it this afternoon. Report back on how easy it was.

·
507 Posts
Little-Lectric said:
The inside is covered with drywall, so it would probably be best to drill from outside-in. It also would come out in a cubby hole in a pantry where the panel is. Blow out on the inside wouldn't be as bad. How hard would the hand held core drill be to use if the hole was about 5'-6' off the ground?
It would be quite a pain seeing as they can bind if you don't keep your plane the same the whole way through. Arms of steel too :laughing;

Unless you can find a way to anchor or steady it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts