Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up a custom home, and the owner asks if there is a way to put a device in/near the driveway(lane about 200 yards long) that would sound a bell or even maybe the doorbell to give him early warning that someone is coming up the drive. I said I would check into it. 20 Years ago I worked for an alarm company and installed something(can't remember exactly how) in a 2"x8' PVC pipe under the entrance wired to a house. I'm sure there has been many improvements since then. Does anybody here install a wireless device that cold be mounted to a fence post and possibly work with a wireless doorbell system? I know I could google this, but looking for a specific reliable brand/system with minimum headaches, otherwise I may just farm this out to an alarm guy I use on commercial projects...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I tried a couple of cheap wireless driveway alarms and both worked fine and alerted when a car drove in, but - and a big but at that was the number of false alarms. It was so bad that I removed them.

It seemed that the sun as it moved across the sky would set them off, turning down sensitivity and even aiming downward with shrouds didn't work. I have no advice except to verify with extensive research by first hand users.

600 feet may be a bit far for video but some camera systems have movement alarms built into the software.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I've a stealth motion head 200' down a 600' driveway which set of a 24V buzzer at one time, now it sets the porch light off ~CS~

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We install induction loops in the asphalt all the time in drive-thru lanes to alert people working in there when a car is waiting at the order speaker.

I'm sure there must be something like that out there for a smaller residential application.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have looked at a lot of systems that cost upwards of $200 and many are plagued with false alarms, mostly by sun spots like mine.

This $179 one actually looks promising but would need more research (4 mile range).
http://www.absoluteautomation.com/mursbskit-infrared-driveway-alarm-and-base-station-kit/

If I got up every time my dog barked I would be at my original birth weight inside a fortnight, though I wouldn't mind being somewhere in-between.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
I tried a couple of cheap wireless driveway alarms and both worked fine and alerted when a car drove in, but - and a big but at that was the number of false alarms. It was so bad that I removed them.

It seemed that the sun as it moved across the sky would set them off, turning down sensitivity and even aiming downward with shrouds didn't work. I have no advice except to verify with extensive research by first hand users.

600 feet may be a bit far for video but some camera systems have movement alarms built into the software.
Amen. Professionals don't sell stuff from Northern tool.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just curious but are they meant for perimeter control? at that distance you'd almost think they were laser or at least highly polarized. Are they hard to aim?
No, there is a little optic and a mirror with screw adjustments and a sighting system. They MUST be mounted solid and you need to mount them reasonable close to aimed at each other. Fine tuning them isn't that hard, adjusting the trip threshold may take a few false alarms, then they run for years and years without problem.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Finishing up a custom home, and the owner asks if there is a way to put a device in/near the driveway(lane about 200 yards long) that would sound a bell or even maybe the doorbell to give him early warning that someone is coming up the drive. I said I would check into it. 20 Years ago I worked for an alarm company and installed something(can't remember exactly how) in a 2"x8' PVC pipe under the entrance wired to a house. I'm sure there has been many improvements since then. Does anybody here install a wireless device that cold be mounted to a fence post and possibly work with a wireless doorbell system? I know I could google this, but looking for a specific reliable brand/system with minimum headaches, otherwise I may just farm this out to an alarm guy I use on commercial projects...
I had one put in my driveway so that I knew when friends were coming over. It never worked.:(

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I haven't used one but if you have cameras installed there are camera analytics that can send contact closure. Those are very good and expensive but they will recognize cars or people from dogs and or other animals.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I haven't used one but if you have cameras installed there are camera analytics that can send contact closure. Those are very good and expensive but they will recognize cars or people from dogs and or other animals.
I had that kind. It DID wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me that a dog was in my drive. It was useless: I KNEW I had a dog.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts