Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this with a spline drive? I have been using a sledge forever and as few as i drive its been fine but i have 3 ground rods to drive in rocky soil and I'd like to do it with power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Has anyone tried this with a spline drive? I have been using a sledge forever and as few as i drive its been fine but i have 3 ground rods to drive in rocky soil and I'd like to do it with power.

I have a bosch 11247 spline drive and it has worked well until my last service upgrade. I had to rent a thirty pounder and go at an angle.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

I use an SDS max hammer drill. Put it in hammer mode and install the ground rod drive that you can buy for the drill. Works great with minimal effort.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Yea, I know but I just can't justify the expense. 99% of what I use that rotohamer for is 3/4" penetrations on commercial shells and it's plenty for that.

You can certainly justify the expense for a rod driver adapter, right?

The small ones work. The big ones work 10X better.

I first picked up a big demo hammer when I bid a decent job that required taking out some asphalt. The money was there so I picked up the proper tool.

Most of my big tool purchases were done this way.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I got tired of the fence post pounder so I improvised. I took my old SDS plus, and grounded off the tip of a chisel, then I used a Pex plumbing tubing as a guide, with a screw clamp to hold it on. It's serviceable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You mention rocky soil. I've driven rods in the Rocky Mountains, Appalacian Mountains, and the valleys below. One thing I learned and I have had PLENTY of experience, is soft ground the driver works fine, but when your into rocks and clay, sledge is the only way.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.