Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working for a friend that is doing a remodel for his daughter . This house has a lot of rough sawn oak and other extremely hard lumber as studs and other framing members.

It makes nailing up boxes and driving staples extremely difficult to almost impossible. Are there any trade secrets to driving staples and nailing up boxes. Sometimes the box nails only go halfway and then just fold up and staples if I am lucky may go 3/4 of the way in before just folding up.

Problems like this is why I HATE RESIDENTAL ELECTRICAL WORK.

THANKS

LC

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Vaseline on the tip of the nails or staples
use this old trick a lot:laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did give serious thought about screwing boxes and I also thought about the Vaseline thing but I just was not sure .

THANKS

LC

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I have a hard time with old lumber and trusses especially, too. Hand staple gun , a couple whacks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
had to many of the old houses here are hardwood framed!
for stapling if the vasilene doesn't work its straps and ramset
ive seen some beams that were harder than concrete:eek:

hey svh19044 we are on the opposite corner of the state (huh small world aint it)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
These work great and you'll need them for any AFIC circuits....sheet rock screws for all boxes period. Old houses will make you a better sparky nothing is ever the same, I started out doing them 30+ yrs ago thank my lucky starts my master was a master of them. Wish I was there bud I have dozens of tricks for them bstds :laughing:...gotta love that 100 year old dust too......bet you got that coalminer look going on:eek:.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Chicken Steve ! Where are you ?

How about new lyrics to Abilene ... Vaseline ?

:laughing:

Something like .... Vaseline , Vaseline , slippiest stuff I've ever seen ...........

C'mon, you can do it !

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
These work great and you'll need them for any AFIC circuits....sheet rock screws for all boxes period. Old houses will make you a better sparky nothing is ever the same, I started out doing them 30+ yrs ago thank my lucky starts my master was a master of them. Wish I was there bud I have dozens of tricks for them bstds :laughing:...gotta love that 100 year old dust too......bet you got that coalminer look going on:eek:.
I used to buy those when I had a couple of guys working for me that couldn't be left alone for more than a minute or two. Their dummy proof. No way the guys could drive them in too tight.

Anybody who exclusively uses laborers and helpers for their work force should look into only letting the hired hands use these.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used to buy those when I had a couple of guys working for me that couldn't be left alone for more than a minute or two. Their dummy proof. No way the guys could drive them in too tight.

Anybody who exclusively uses laborers and helpers for their work force should look into only letting the hired hands use these.
This made be laugh for some reason, only because the other first year I work with claims he only works efficiently with the plastic kind, so my boss buys him the metal ones as punishment/jokes all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.