Electrician Talk banner

Drooping Meter Live Tactics

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  gold 
#1 ·
May have to fix a meter ripping off a house again off a lateral. Not sure if I feel like waiting around for poco to show up, if they don't cancel last sec. Generally, we do an outage/reconnect, but they are notorious around here for killing our time. Just checking to see if someone has some other methods then ours for working live on meters.

We basically use a dry fiberglass rod, dry stick, or something nearby non-conductive, bend the lines out of lugs carefully or put some of those thick rubber tie downs around lines and pull out then then....put those rubber caps that come on fishstick cases to cap then tape. Then work careful.

Any other tips/tricks ?

I know I know your not supposed to work live..:whistling2:

#8 ·
yep

Yeah. We line with cardboard, rubber or whatever is near. I usually put a welder mask on and a big coat. Use Rubber coated t-handle allen and 2 of the other methods.

Just thought of something. Is there some sort of plastic stick or rod with a curved (180degree open end) that a 4/0 or so would fit right in? You could just hook, pull, tape and move on to next. That would be quick

#13 ·
We do it hot here everytime but I'm not sure what your talking about with sticks and rubbers.

Cut it resecure it then put it back together. What do you need sticks and rubber caps for?

#26 ·
that's what I meant by tape with rubber wraps previously...that's always the fun part sliding it over.
now I see what your saying. This isn't an approved method obviously but in a pinch ...

Get a few pieces of rubber hose straighten the wire out and slide it over the the conductor down into the conduit ...

I wouldn't try replacing the pipe like that tho.

Out here the poco doesn't come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.