Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually get frustrated but today on a house call A guy had no receptacle on one wall,only 2 receptacles in his room as I poked around I found the electrical box buried after making up the box,both problems we're solved thank you dry waller's for saving me time for once! lol houses being sold with buried boxes happens to often here in las vegas I tell you what.

·
Registered
337 Posts
chicken steve said:
I take it you're just as tired arguing it as i am kgb....:whistling2:~CS~
Just about every wall in every new house has a box on it. Its not rocket science. Yet I continue to walk into a room to device out and find one wall with nothing but a bulge in the drywall 18" high.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I was on one job and they buried about 3 one day. My J-man and I took a chaulk line and snapped a line at the center of the box height.. One of the boarders came around the corner and asked "What are you doing?"... J-man said "Looking for a box.." as he took his flat blade out and started stabbing holes down the chaulk line.. After about 4 holes, the boarder stopped him, found the box and cut it out.. Didn't have another buried one on that job..

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
A hammer works. I usually dont find the box on purpose for the first 2 or 3 holes. The next time they wont bury your box.
They really don't care in the least, you are just screwing up Sheetrock for the person or company that commissioned the job. Use a 5 foot level to find where the drywall has been raised by your box. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
After being a drywall er myself, I became an electrician and I despise the lack of care drywallers show for cutting out boxes, beating your conduit up etc. they leave their cut outs EVERYWHERE. On this particular job I'm on, they've been telling the GC how it's gonna be and not the other way around. When I was hanging and finishing, the crew I was on never showed this blatant disrespect :censored:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,786 Posts
Chain saw. Works wonders. Message received.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,336 Posts
Unless you don't get there to trim out before the floor goes down.
I have a builder who makes it his job to go around and marks every outlet as CS stated for electrical, stereo, tv, etc. As the rock is done he checks it and makes the drywallers dig it out.

Years ago I had a job where over 13 outlets were buried and I found every one with no damage to the structure-- included in that was 3 uc lights. I didn't even get a thank you.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Drywallers are ridiculous. Someone here said it best when they described the drywall process as some idiot on a ladder yelling out numbers to a guy even dumber than him and the only thing they know for sure is they're getting eight bucks a sheet

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
ponyboy said:
Drywallers are ridiculous. Someone here said it best when they described the drywall process as some idiot on a ladder yelling out numbers to a guy even dumber than him and the only thing they know for sure is they're getting eight bucks a sheet

I've also noticed they are the dirtiest of the trades. Not just the mud they splatter and dust they leave everywhere. After the rockers leave they leave behind all their trash. Banana peels, chicken bones, wrappers, cans and bottles, rock pieces, and anything else they didn't want to take with them. The last crew I worked around didn't have ladders or scaffolds. One guy was on the shoulders of another one hanging the rock on the ceiling. They were fast as hell though.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
I've also noticed they are the dirtiest of the trades. Not just the mud they splatter and dust they leave everywhere. After the rockers leave they leave behind all their trash. Banana peels, chicken bones, wrappers, cans and bottles, rock pieces, and .........

You forgot about the obligatory empty mud bucket that was used as a toilet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think it all comes down to the GC. I do work for 2 resi GCs. One is a 64 yr old former drywall contractor/carpenter and Ive never had an issue. He stays on top of all trades to make sure everything runs smooth. The other guy stops at home depot to "hire" his drywall guys. Problems on every job. Just need to price them accordingly.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,336 Posts
I think it all comes down to the GC. I do work for 2 resi GCs. One is a 64 yr old former drywall contractor/carpenter and Ive never had an issue. He stays on top of all trades to make sure everything runs smooth. The other guy stops at home depot to "hire" his drywall guys. Problems on every job. Just need to price them accordingly.
It all comes down to the general contractor. It is partly who they hire, how much time they put on the job supervising and what they will tolerate. When you do $3 million homes they don't put up with too much-- If yyou work for custom builders they tend to be better than the tract home builders.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I cut out buried boxes I like to cut around the box, the same way the drywaller's would have cut it out, so that I can push the drywall in so 1) I pop their screws and they get to repair it, and 2) I don't need to find longer screws to install my device. :)
I often just use my wire strippers to cut out the box since that's what I have on me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.