Electrician Talk banner

Drywallers burying boxes

8K views 54 replies 36 participants last post by  LGLS 
#1 ·
I usually get frustrated but today on a house call A guy had no receptacle on one wall,only 2 receptacles in his room as I poked around I found the electrical box buried after making up the box,both problems we're solved thank you dry waller's for saving me time for once! lol houses being sold with buried boxes happens to often here in las vegas I tell you what.

#33 ·
Funniest one I ever had was doing a farmhouse renovation. The rockers weren't bad guys so I was real surprised to walk in one day to finish trim and found a couple of upstairs rooms that were completely blank, not one single box.

I was dumbfounded, come to find out the foreman left his greenie on site with the instructions "Make sure there aren't any holes or cracks in these rooms." Well, he did a damn good job; taped and mudded every outlet.

#37 ·
Although I haven't tried it myself, I have heard how a 12 gauge shotgun also is a great way to demonstrate how to find buried electrical boxes in drywall. It impresses the drywall crew to no end.

Reactions: jeffmoss26
#39 ·
Rollie73 said:
As a younger man, I was known for a vicious temper and a very short fuse. I also did a lot of resi work at the time. I had asked the drywall hangers numerous times to be more dilligent about not burying my boxes numerous times on other job sites. On this particular site they had hit me on a bad day and I returned to a new construction house (to install the service) to find at least 10 boxes buried throughout the house. I very quietly walked into the living room while they were boarding a bedroom and buried an 8lb sledgehammer through the first wall, then proceeded to rip every piece of drywall down in that room.....even the ones that weren't hiding boxes. When one of the drywallers came at me I took a swing at him with my sledge....thankfully missing him and hitting a wall........ and tore that wall down as well. They ended up having to reboard the entire room as well as the wall adjoining kitchen wall. I never again had an issue with those particular drywallers burying my boxes but the judge didn't find the whole incident very amusing.:rolleyes: I, of course, had to pay for the damages, and ended up losing any profit from that job.
Anger management wasn't common back then eh?
Funny s#it !
Remind me not to pi#s you off

#49 ·
I had illegal rockers stealing ladders, filling boxes with mud, and being arses. Made a nice call on lunch to my friend who works at ICE. Those rockers were never seen again. :whistling2:

#51 · (Edited)
If we are responsible for temp power, we usually have carte blanche to cut the ends off any damaged cords.

One particular job where the GC was using their own rockers, who refused to do better at avoiding burying boxes and damaging wiring with Rotozips,etc., random bags of fish were found to have worked their way into the wall cavities. They had to damage much of their own work tracking down the smell, so I have been told.

#52 ·
ibuzzard said:
If we are responsible for temp power, we usually have carte blanche to cut the ends off any damaged cords. One particular job where the GC was using their own rockers, who refused to do better at avoiding burying boxes and damaging wiring with Rotozips,etc., random bags of fish were found to have worked their way into the wall cavities. They had to damage much of their own work tracking down the smell, so I have been told.
I've seen guys take a crap in the buckets of mud.

#54 ·
I've got a taper that I work with a lot and he does a beautiful job. I'll recommend him to anyone that asks. Very little mud in the boxes etc. and he makes sure that there's no serious gaps around the boxes. Around here I know most of the people I'm working for so they'll usually listen to us if we recommend a plumber, taper, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.