Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I started with a fascination with electric fans as a young child. I saw a scene from a movie when I was very young where a fan caught fire, and it terrified me, so I was determined to learn about electricity.

In elementary school I started repairing and restoring antique desk fans. In middle school I started working for local theatre groups doing lighting design (which consisted of more electrical hack work than 'design').

By high school I'd taken some electrical and electronics courses at the UW and could do pretty much anything residential as well as some electronics repairs.

After high school I intended to make a career as a musician, but that was slow starting, and I worked off and on as an electrician as well until I moved out of state and didnt bring any tools with.

Years later, after a moderately successful career as a musician, the church were I was (and am) employed as Minister of Music decided to renovate our sanctuary. I offered to install some lighting, and they were very excited to learn I had experience as an electrician. When we opened a community center in a decrepit storefront, I wasnt asked to orchestrate the renovations, they simply assumed I would.

We've since bought a much larger building to house other aspects of ministry. Thankfully, a skilled contractor has since joined the church and is spearheading the renovations, but he defers to me on electrical. This has been my first experience with commercial work on such a large scale.

I have no intention to get back into working as an electrician other than what I do for the church projects. The main reason is, after I invest myself in something, I like to sit back and appreciate it. I never liked spending hours bending conduit, only to never get a chance to see how beautiful it was again!

I also collect and restore vintage ceiling fans (1970s-1980s, with occasional older ones) and repair and restore Hammond organs and Leslie speakers (tube electronics).

I joined the three major Electrician forums to get my head back in the game, this one is definitely my favorite so far.

Thanks for answering my questions!

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Welcome, fellow cheesehead!:thumbsup: Do they let you work on the sound system too?

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
oh, hack, youre a tricky devil! i like it:whistling2:

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had our old building wired for club-like sound including 4 18" subs and a 32 channel Tascam board.

Working a recording studio into our current project.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I had our old building wired for club-like sound including 4 18" subs and a 32 channel Tascam board.

Working a recording studio into our current project.
I think the sound system is more tricky than the electrical. If a recept or a light doesn't work, big deal. If the sound system isn't working properly, they look at the one that's been working on it and it isn't always charitable!!!:laughing::laughing:

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the sound system is more tricky than the electrical. If a recept or a light doesn't work, big deal. If the sound system isn't working properly, they look at the one that's been working on it and it isn't always charitable!!!:laughing::laughing:
I am excellent at sound install and repair but I am a TERRIBLE mix engineer. Whoever is running the board usually gets the dirty looks.

Where are you in WI?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I am excellent at sound install and repair but I am a TERRIBLE mix engineer. Whoever is running the board usually gets the dirty looks.

Where are you in WI?
I guess you'd call it North Central. North of Eau Claire about 50 miles. The good country!:thumbsup:

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drat, too far to ask you to volunteer!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I guess you'd call it North Central. North of Eau Claire about 50 miles. The good country!:thumbsup:
The army sent me to play in your neck of the woods back in the early 80s. Spent a couple weeks driving tanks back and forth in the woods so the air force fighters could test out some new sighting equipment. That area is, or was then, a deer hunter's dream

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry, dsspiffy, you are not obviously hack. please continue as if i was never here:whistling2:
I thought you were calling me A hack, which didnt bother me, I've been called worse.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
The army sent me to play in your neck of the woods back in the early 80s. Spent a couple weeks driving tanks back and forth in the woods so the air force fighters could test out some new sighting equipment. That area is, or was then, a deer hunter's dream
There's way too many deer around here to suit me. Good deer hunting but much of the land is privately owned and off limits to the public.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Putting my laptop in for repair today, so I probably wont be around much the next couple weeks. I enjoy reading and have learned a lot.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get an iPhone/iPad for forum backup!...:laughing::thumbup:
I tried opening one of these threads from my Android phone . . . the ads obscured the entire screen. On my laptop I have some sort of ad blocker installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts