Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ones I have wired were powered from the outside compressor which is where I put disconnecting means

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
I have always installed it this way as well. I don't see a need for the indoor unit as it is fed off the outdoor.

Someone mentioned to me today that they install at the indoor unit as well and I was kind of taken back.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
Is there a code that requires a disconnect switch at the inside unit?
Code says to install as per the manufacturer's instructions.
So far every unit we've done, the instructions show a 3 pole disconnect ( L1, L2,Control wire )

Reactions: hardworkingstiff

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Code says to install as per the manufacturer's instructions.
So far every unit we've done, the instructions show a 3 pole disconnect ( L1, L2,Control wire )

The instructions for the one's I've done say disconnect at the inside unit if requested by local codes. I've never installed a disconnect at the inside unit.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
Don't most of the indoor part of these have an on/off switch?

~CS~

No they are controlled by a remote control and power is present at the unit as long as the Compressor unit has power applied to its control board.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
I have always installed it this way as well. I don't see a need for the indoor unit as it is fed off the outdoor.

Someone mentioned to me today that they install at the indoor unit as well and I was kind of taken back.

interesting, the few that i connected used a class ll circuit and had a low voltage fan in the evaparator powered by the condensor section.
I have only done commercial units, but had heard some of the residential were LV

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.