Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call , resulted in an argument and a service call. A property owners tenant recently had his service cut because he never applied for it. PSEG refused to plug meter back in because " there are three wires on top, and only two on the bottom". It's a 3ph open delta service. The panel was changed to a single phase 100. The high leg was removed from meter. I was paid to install a new GEC, ground rod and close up open wiring. Owner blamed me, after a 30 minute argument I charged him $150 to plug meter in.
Shouldn't POCO employees be trained to know a little bit about distribution such as it's ok if and old high leg is , obsolete.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the delta leg connected to the service drop?
Yes, old 1960s set up. Former pizza place from 70s was last to need 3 ph.
Former owner swapped to single phase panel from fuses. The had meter on .

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Weird, that's exactly what everybody around here does - leave the high leg in the meter. Im pretty sure our poco guys could care less, as long as the electrician said it was good.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to insinuate anything but it was a woman. She must have been a liberal.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering, did they still have a 3 phase meter? If you put a single phase meter in a 3 phase meter can, that leg doesn't get energized anyway, right?
Yes, old dial meter. But they are using A and B , C is the high leg in the pan.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Move this to Business and Marketing under 'Creating Repeat Customers '
I have learned to put customers in their place. I don't kiss butt, sniff farts or give away free shirts. I'm not a scapegoat . If a customer aggravates me I have no problem firing them. He's been using his GCs electrician periodically, inserting sheathed romex in a plastic box says alot about him to me. Guy always ends up calling me when the crap hits the fan.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It might be because I'm tired or because I'm not good with acronyms but what is a GEC?
Grounding electrode conductor, in this case a #4 copper conductor going to the cold water pipe and jumping out the watermeter.
It might be because I'm tired or because I'm not good with acronyms but what is a GEC?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Got a call , resulted in an argument and a service call. A property owners tenant recently had his service cut because he never applied for it. PSEG refused to plug meter back in because " there are three wires on top, and only two on the bottom". It's a 3ph open delta service. The panel was changed to a single phase 100. The high leg was removed from meter. I was paid to install a new GEC, ground rod and close up open wiring. Owner blamed me, after a 30 minute argument I charged him $150 to plug meter in.
Shouldn't POCO employees be trained to know a little bit about distribution such as it's ok if and old high leg is , obsolete.
A lotof these poco guys are clueless. They know next to nothing about electricity. More line hardware, assembly and taking orders.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lotof these poco guys are clueless. They know next to nothing about electricity. More line hardware, assembly and taking orders.
I have another job, service upgrade. Customer complains lights blink with AC , on. Sent temp to PSEG, met linewoman at site. Said she couldn't upgrade drop cause it's a midspan over 90'. Asked me what she should do.....I said install another xformer and split up circuit. Seven houses fed from one 37.5 kva xformer. My client is at the far end fed with #4 al triplex.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I have another job, service upgrade. Customer complains lights blink with AC , on. Sent temp to PSEG, met linewoman at site. Said she couldn't upgrade drop cause it's a midspan over 90'. Asked me what she should do.....I said install another xformer and split up circuit. Seven houses fed from one 37.5 kva xformer. My client is at the far end fed with #4 al triplex.
:laughing: What was her response to that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.