Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a client that has a duplex and wants to do a service upgrade for both units. The service order is for a 200A service with 2 100A disconnects. Due to limitations on where the panel is going to be located, I can not put two load centers with a double meter disconnect feeding them. What I would like to do is run the mast to a hot gutter with 2/0 in it, then split bolt the 2/0 to #4 twice to serve each all in one. When I ask for parts from my supply house and one other I am getting blank stares. Can I do this legally? I've seen it on plenty of older multi family buildings but never done it myself.

Any suggestions of a better way to do it? Everything needs to fit into 43" of wall space.

How can I put a hub into the gutter for the mast? Do I have to come in on the side of the gutter as opposed to the top and just drill through the gutter?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
What is a "hot" gutter?

They make gutters for this purpose with hubs on the top.

Why can't you just use a double meter pan?

View attachment 31207
For some reason, these meter pans are harder to get ahold of than you would think. And EXPENSIVE!

Ive got an old home getting turned into a duplex, and as ugly as it may be, the cheapest way to do the service is set 2 meter bases right next to each other, and run a riser up for each.
I thought about doing the trough and split bolting the feeds to each meter, but as cheap as the HO is, I decided against it.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
For some reason, these meter pans are harder to get ahold of than you would think. And EXPENSIVE!

Ive got an old home getting turned into a duplex, and as ugly as it may be, the cheapest way to do the service is set 2 meter bases right next to each other, and run a riser up for each.
I thought about doing the trough and split bolting the feeds to each meter, but as cheap as the HO is, I decided against it.
I see.

Here, the PoCo gives 2 family meter pans away just like the single meter pan.

I know they make troughs with openings on the top for a hub, just like meter pans have. Usually they will have 3 openings on the top so you can choose where to come in.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I see.

Here, the PoCo gives 2 family meter pans away just like the single meter pan.

I know they make troughs with openings on the top for a hub, just like meter pans have. Usually they will have 3 openings on the top so you can choose where to come in.
The other week I had to call around looking for a 400 amp double gang meter base, nobody had them and they acted like I was the first person to ever ask for one. Finally one supply house told me they could get it, but it would take 7 business days and cost around $550. The real kicker was it would only accept 2 1/2" (overhead), forcing me to buy copper feeders!!

I decided it was much better to make some money and do a cheap ugly job, then to pay for all that crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts