Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
cool cat
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved a shipment of powerhouse RV pedestals today and was looking at the double barrel lugs and small space they provide for wire bending space.Called eaton and they said it has been approved for the space provided (about 6" from conduit to lugs)to bring 4/0 AL (including 4/0 ALneutral and ground) feeders in and out.Anybody had any experience with these type pedestals?They have hinges so you can break them open but really a tight space for wire bending 4/0 AL.Any helpful advice would be appreciated.Eaton engineers said they sell 4/0 AL ,250 Al all the time with these type pedestals:001_huh:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Recieved a shipment of powerhouse RV pedestals today and was looking at the double barrel lugs and small space they provide for wire bending space.Called eaton and they said it has been approved for the space provided (about 6" from conduit to lugs)to bring 4/0 AL (including 4/0 ALneutral and ground) feeders in and out.Anybody had any experience with these type pedestals?They have hinges so you can break them open but really a tight space for wire bending 4/0 AL.Any helpful advice would be appreciated.Eaton engineers said they sell 4/0 AL ,250 Al all the time with these type pedestals:001_huh:
They got approvals but it does not make it right.:no:

·
cool cat
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering if it would be worh while to and legal to butt splice to 2/0 cu and 4/0 al direct burial then heat shrink just outside each pedestal to ease the labor on connections.Wouldn't be that expensive to do versus a direct burial polaris tap.Do they make any type of 2/0cu to 4/0al butt spices? How bout a more flexible cable rated for direct burial feeders.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Just wondering if it would be worh while to and legal to butt splice to 2/0 cu and 4/0 al direct burial then heat shrink just outside each pedestal to ease the labor on connections.Wouldn't be that expensive to do versus a direct burial polaris tap.Do they make any type of 2/0cu to 4/0al butt spices? How bout a more flexible cable rated for direct burial feeders.
I would look into using different RV peds before I added an unnecessary splice in the ground. That's just one more potential failure point.

The ones our shop uses are Milbanks I believe. I haven't been on any of our RV park jobs so I can't say how much wiring space they have though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.