Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about becoming an EC in a few years, one of the things I will need is a garage to work out of.
I figure I'll have a 24'Wx28'L garage.
How tall of a door do I need in order to have a van with ladders and conduit rack on top?

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I'm thinking about becoming an EC in a few years, one of the things I will need is a garage to work out of.
How tall of a door do I need in order to have a van with ladders and conduit rack on top?
Mine are 9' ft. I would have loved to make my garage another 4 or 5 foot deeper than it is , but then it would have reached my property line and we have a 5 foot setback rule on the backside of the house.
Bigger is better. Another nice thing I did was slope up the ceilings on the garage. The doors follow up the slope. I can put a vehicle lift(s) inside my garage if I want to . One of these days.

Reactions: Jah Electric

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a 9' door is tall enough to get a van with a ladder and conduit rack in? Do you have an opener on the side by the door or over the door?

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Overhead. Yes I have racks on my van and ladders. Fits good.

Reactions: Jah Electric

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Uh, probably shouldn't rain on your parade but aren't you just a little late in the season for trying to build a garage in the land of the Mud Duck??? Someone tried digging around here the other day and ran into about a foot of frost. I'd keep this in the thinking stage until next spring.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
It seems like the whole world is moving to high roof vans. If I was building a new garage for the business I would definitely install a door large enough for a high roof van with a ladder rack. A door with 10 true feet of clearance should be able to handle just about all of them.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I would say a minimum of 9' for a standard full size van with a ladder rack.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I'd go 10 feet.

Anyway grab your tape. Hit a HD or Supply House and measure a few off. You might get arrested but you will have a really good story to tell the judge.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would do 14' eves with 12' doors if you are considering running a business out of it. If you get a bucket truck you will probably need a 12' door. A van with a rack would be ok with a 9'. I started out in my garage and it took about a year before i wised up and bought a 40x60x16' building. Equipment makes your job easier, but you need a place to put. I live in the middle of nowhere. It would take 3 hrs to go rent something, then 3 hrs to take it back so it goofs up almost a whole day. If you have it delivered its usually 200 each way, it does not take long to justify owning some of the more common equipment (scissors lift, bucket truck, trencher, directional drill, etc).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts