Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,743 Posts
Haven't seen one of those in many years. There was a time that they were pretty standard on oil burner motors for large boilers that had been converted from coal.

·
1,726 Posts
circuit conductors in separate holes as well, that looks like iron isn't it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is cast iron except for the porcelain and a brass post at the top that is cross drilled for a wire seal. The brass pin is black in the photo. My goodness this thing was dirty. It makes me think Mechanical DVR may be right. It might have been next to a boiler.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They didn't leave you much room to terminate the conductors.
Correct, With the large wire on there now you are basically working through the porcelain lined holes.

For my display it will be carrying 12.5 Amps so I will wire it with #14 wire. It will be much easier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These pictures are as purchased. It was very dirty with some sort of black black dirt I suspect it was used for a long time but seldom or never opened under load. It has a provision for a wired seal so it may have been the disconnect and never used.

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
284 Posts
Reminds me of a panel i took out of a house built in 1910. The house was a palace for it's time. It had Central vacuuming and a wooden refrigerator case with the motor in the basement.
Anyway, the panel was all knifeblade switches mounted in a cabinet. It would have been so easy for someone to touch those bare copper bars while reaching to pull it open.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts