Discussion Starter · #1 ·
actually went smooth for once in my life. Hard work pays off

Attachments

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
480 Posts
I’m diggin the double bell end coupling

so I’m guessing the fiberglass is cheaper than metal , butwhy not just use pvc at that point ?
It’s weights 5 pounds instead of 80 pounds
So it’s safer to work with and you can build racks in your shop on the concrete floor with all your materials and tools at your soapy instead of a ditch and drop it in with a hoe. That rack took a day or 2 to build in the shop verses a week or so in the Feild and it’s perfect. Overall it’s way safer to do it this way and it saves man hours. Then if you have a BIM machine you can add points to your rack and (I use 3/4 emt) and then drive rebar in the Feild laid out with BIM and literally slip the emt rack points over the rebar and its in the perfect spot.
It’s just as strong.
Ropes will not burn
And the friction is lower so it pulls easier
You should look at the website it explains all the benifits.

·
Registered
Performing mostly commercial and underground raceway installations
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly , you are reinventing the wheel here.

you can’t beat pulling thru Metal sweeps

·
Registered
480 Posts
Honestly , you are reinventing the wheel here.

you can’t beat pulling thru Metal sweeps
You do you. This is what the industry is coming to if you prefer to break you and your coworkers backs and work those heavy sweeps in a ditch and risk getting hurt go ahead. You will be left in the dust by the competitions

·
Registered
Performing mostly commercial and underground raceway installations
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They’re no that heavy brah. and with two guys, it’s very manageable.

but I hear what you’re saying

·
Registered
480 Posts
They’re no that heavy brah. and with two guys, it’s very manageable.

but I hear what you’re saying
Ya the trade is all about the long game I got into this at 18 years old can’t get social security till 67 assuming I’m able to retire at 62 I’ll have 44 years in. Hey might not be heavy at 20 but wait till your 40-50. Also I could cary 4’of them with one guy. So put it in perspective of man hours. The rack you built took atleast 2 guys 8 hours by the time you receive your material get it into to the work station and fab it up so that’s 16 hours at 100$ an hour give or take you charge the customer. I could do the same
Thing in the shop with one guy in 3 hours and spend a hour in shipping and and another dropping it in the hole. So I got 5 hours into it at 100$ Was way safer so chances of injury go down which over 200000 man hours collectivity my company works means a lot for insurance cost. So any ways that rack cost you 1600$ in labor cost me 500$ in labor so guess who is able to charge less in a tight labor market and keep working all year in a tight labor market? Also idk. If you knew this or not a 20ft stick of unistrut is 68$ Right one and that’s for 1-5/8 so double it’s for that piece of back to back you used. I can get a 20ft piece of 1x1 angle iron for 10$ and spend 5$ welding it together so I have no hardware cost on nuts and bolts. And then burry that rig and it won’t float. So it’s not really reinventing the wheel it’s more like keeping up with the times so you don’t get left behind.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,263 Posts
I think you're hedging with the part about angle iron versus strut. Strut trades a little material cost for a savings in labor, safety, etc. There's no such thing as welding something in five minutes if you include setup, layout, cleanup, putaway, etc. and if it has to be modified in the field ouch.

Ya the trade is all about the long game I got into this at 18 years old can’t get social security till 67 assuming I’m able to retire at 62 I’ll have 44 years in. Hey might not be heavy at 20 but wait till your 40-50. Also I could cary 4’of them with one guy. So put it in perspective of man hours. The rack you built took atleast 2 guys 8 hours by the time you receive your material get it into to the work station and fab it up so that’s 16 hours at 100$ an hour give or take you charge the customer. I could do the same
Thing in the shop with one guy in 3 hours and spend a hour in shipping and and another dropping it in the hole. So I got 5 hours into it at 100$ Was way safer so chances of injury go down which over 200000 man hours collectivity my company works means a lot for insurance cost. So any ways that rack cost you 1600$ in labor cost me 500$ in labor so guess who is able to charge less in a tight labor market and keep working all year in a tight labor market? Also idk. If you knew this or not a 20ft stick of unistrut is 68$ Right one and that’s for 1-5/8 so double it’s for that piece of back to back you used. I can get a 20ft piece of 1x1 angle iron for 10$ and spend 5$ welding it together so I have no hardware cost on nuts and bolts. And then burry that rig and it won’t float. So it’s not really reinventing the wheel it’s more like keeping up with the times so you don’t get left behind.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think you're hedging with the part about angle iron versus strut. Strut trades a little material cost for a savings in labor, safety, etc. There's no such thing as welding something in five minutes if you include setup, layout, cleanup, putaway, etc. and if it has to be modified in the field ouch.
I was actually estimating on the high side tbh in the shop where we build all the underground’s the migwelder is right there so get you a vice grip on point and shoot nothing to it. And 98% of the time you won’t have to Feild modify. Becuase I have the equipment cuts for my windows pulled up on a 50” monitor mounted to the wall and I know what the dig outwill be as well for my duct bank depth

·
Registered
480 Posts
But for argument sake add another 1hr I’m still 1000$ cheaper with the same profit

1 - 20 of 41 Posts