Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing an ev charging station and need some help with it. I'm going to be installing a separate meter from edison with the installation. And can't get a clear answer from the utility on the installation on it. My customer is saying we need a line side tap to the new meter. But I have never had to install one like that before. Is there supposed to be a line side tap or do I just install a new beaker in the panel to the meter and ev charger? Please help.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I'm installing an ev charging station and need some help with it. I'm going to be installing a separate meter from edison with the installation. And can't get a clear answer from the utility on the installation on it. My customer is saying we need a line side tap to the new meter. But I have never had to install one like that before. Is there supposed to be a line side tap or do I just install a new beaker in the panel to the meter and ev charger? Please help.[/quote

(My customer is saying we need a line side tap to the new meter.) !!

Oh ! Is your customer a master electrician ?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,505 Posts
Why are you adding a meter for the charging station? Does the customer want to know what they are spending or do you need a new meter with a totally separate bill?

If you want a new meter with a separate bill for just the charging station then we will need more info. You can add a trough under or above the meter and add a second meter so the power company can tap to both meters. If you have never done this it may be worth while getting someone to help you with it.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
No sir he is not. But he is saying what he was told. So I'm wondering if there is anyone with experience installing ev chargers. Preferably someone who will comment with actual advice rather "witty" comments.

Thanks ! I knew I was a WIT , but am I a Nit WIT, or a Half WIT ?

By the way , that was a perfectly logical question .

Who was he told by ?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,577 Posts
oldtimer said:
Thanks ! I knew I was a WIT , but am I a Nit WIT, or a Half WIT ? By the way , that was a perfectly logical question . Who was he told by ?
No me,,, I'm a "Dim Witt".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The meter is for the utility for rebates. I'm assuming that if the meter was powered off it's own breaker it still would give the utility the same readings as if it were from a line side tap. It's still going to show how much the charger is pulling.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You probably want to tap the line side of the meter and run to a second meter with another main coming off that to feed your charger circuit. I am assuming it is/like an interuptable service for an A.C. You will want to check your poco's green book as well as the NEC for specifics.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Same situation...

Im dealing with the same situation here....

SoCal Edison offers reduced rates for off-peak EV charging. So, they want you to set a new meter socket and have a dedicated circuit ran to the charger. In my case, it's just going to be a 20 amp 120v receptacle. The client also wants a time clock set up so that he can ONLY charge his vehicle during the off-peak times of 9:30 pm - 12:00 pm.

Anyways..... here's a link to how SCE wants you to do it.....
http://asset.sce.com/microsite/Documents/PEV/EVElectricianGuide.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.