Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing this damn outside receptacle for a soon to be Tesla owner.. now my inclination was that it must be GFCI protected. But I start digging through the code book and apparently there's a whole new section on electric cars. :whistling2: WHO KNEW?

Anyway.. it says:

86-306 Receptacles for electric vehicle charging equipment (see Appendix B)
(1) Each receptacle for the purpose of electric vehicle charging shall be labelled in a conspicuous, legible, and
permanent manner identifying it as an electric vehicle charging receptacle and shall be
(a) a single receptacle of CSA configuration 5-20R supplied from a 125 V branch circuit rated not less
than 20 A; or
(b) of the appropriate CSA configuration in accordance with Diagram 1 or 2 when supplied from a
branch circuit rated at more than 125 V or more than 20 A.
(2) The receptacle in Subrule (1)(a) shall be protected with a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type,
when the receptacle is installed outdoors and within 2.5 m of finished grade.
Now I'm using a 14-50R (which is not the receptacle in Subrule 1a).. so apparently I don't have to GFCI protect this circuit or receptacle? I'm really surprised, but just want to be sure about that before I don't do it!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
So I'm doing this damn outside receptacle for a soon to be Tesla owner.. now my inclination was that it must be GFCI protected. But I start digging through the code book and apparently there's a whole new section on electric cars. :whistling2: WHO KNEW?
Up until Saturday I didn't know either.. Then I decided to take a Code updating course online and there it was.. Along with wind turbines... There was quite a few changes to the code, so I thought it would be a good course to do on a snowy afternoon.. They said it would take about 8 hours, and I got mine done in about 3.5.. Didn't watch the videos with the text changes, I just challenged the tests and read through the book myself..

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Pretty good idea, who does an online code refresher?
I think after taxes it was just over $300.. But worth it to keep current... Like I say with the online version, if you are handy with a code book, you don't have to go through having to read the notes on each module.. There are a couple of changes that are in the notes, that I couldn't find in the code book, but you can redo each module test as needed.. I think there is a 60 day time frame to get it done too..

http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/electr...cat,4,shop,learning-institute,electricaltrain

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah every 3 years.. So should be 2015, adopted probably 2016 or 2018 for Alberta. I used to be excited to see what new changes there would be, now I don't want any changes. :laughing:

I don't care that much, but out of curiosity:

86-404 Height of electric vehicle charging equipment
Electric vehicle charging equipment shall be located at a height of not less than 450 mm and not more than 1.2 m above the floor level.
Why so frickin low!? They want all the equipment mounted at exactly the height a car would run into it at? I don't get it.

·
13,020 Posts
Read the instructions for the car charging equipment itself. If it's just a cable with an in-line module, or if it's its own enclosure/equipment deal or whatever. Read the instructions and/or the vehicle owners manual and it will tell you if it needs to be GFCI protected or not.

My wife has a Prius with a Plug-In feature and in the car's owners manual it says it needs to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with GFCI protection.

The car is parked right next to the panel in the garage so I just stuck a 20 amp GFCI breaker in there and cut in a box right below the panel. Installed a red duplex receptacle with a red coverplate so she knows which one to plug into.

·
13,020 Posts
:eek: :laughing:
Hey there's 2 other normal receptacles nearby :laughing: Last thing I need is for her to plug into the washing machine circuit and then do laundry while her car is charging up.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Hey there's 2 other normal receptacles nearby :laughing: Last thing I need is for her to plug into the washing machine circuit and then do laundry while her car is charging up.
Yea but, now she knows receptacles come in colors. "I want purple in the kid's rooms, yellow in the sunroom, green in the pantry..."

·
Registered
480 Posts

Anyway.. it says:

Now I'm using a 14-50R (which is not the receptacle in Subrule 1a).. so apparently I don't have to GFCI protect this circuit or receptacle? I'm really surprised, but just want to be sure about that before I don't do it!

Unless your inspector has a different opinion no GFCI required on anything but the 5-20R (and you can't use a 5-15R either as that is written). Mom can't plug her weedwacker into a 14-50R :) .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts