Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have been reading biography of Edison and studying him since I was 12. For some reason he has been changed from a great man to some sort of villain. This has happened at the same time that that success it self has been vilified.

Edison ran a successful company. He hired good men to work for his company, and as a result the company invented and marketed a number of useful things.

I have 6 patents, all but one belong to the companies that have hired me. I don't consider my self a prostitute. I was hired to do a job, I did it and the work I did resulted in a patent.

BTW Edison was home schooled.

Praise God for the rich man, for a poor man has never given me a job.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Perhaps reading this may sway your view fdew ~CS~
I have read it. There is certainly room for more then one great man in any field. Edison got it wrong concerning AC power. He alos got it wrong by creating a home wiring system without any outlets, but he got a lot right and I admire his work as I do the work of Tesla

Frank

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I have read it. There is certainly room for more then one great man in any field. Edison got it wrong concerning AC power. He alos got it wrong by creating a home wiring system without any outlets, but he got a lot right and I admire his work as I do the work of Tesla

Frank
I may be wrong in this but didn't Tesla invent and develop his own ideas while Edison managed inventors and marketed others work?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I may be wrong in this but didn't Tesla invent and develop his own ideas while Edison managed inventors and marketed others work?
First, having managed a creative team for five years I can tell you that Edisons success at that is very impressive. He not only managed other inventors, he told them what to work on and he paid them and bought the lab and equipment they needed to invent. The importance of all that is recognized by the patent office in that the boss who does that is listed as a co-inventor with the man who dreamed up the idea. It gets even more interesting when you invent something, then turn over all your ideas to an employee and a few days later he comes back to you and says I changed this and this, what do you think. At that point he is the inventor and you are the co-inventor. I have been on both sides of that.

A couple of inventions that I know from memory are all his, are the stock ticker, and the phonograph.

We take credit away from him for not inventing the first electric light. Gates did not invent the computer, or the PC, or the graphic user interface, but he put them together in a way that made them popular and affordable. Apple didn't invent the telephone or the cellular phone. They invented and patented a particular kind of phone that a lot of people want. Making products practical, affordable, and useful is a wonderful talent and a service to mankind. BTW My grand children learn about Tesla in school, but it is not a government school.

Frank

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Edison lured Tesla in on a monetary promise , which Edison broke

Tesla, undaunted and unwilling to cow down left him flat & dug ditches for a year after that

Edison wasn't in league with the likes of Goddard, Fleming, Salk or Wright brother in terms of natural enlightenment OR integrity

Far more the likes of the robber barons of the era, or what would have sent peta into catatonic fits by todays standards

~CS~

·
Registered
226 Posts
Edison lured Tesla in on a monetary promise , which Edison broke

Tesla, undaunted and unwilling to cow down left him flat & dug ditches for a year after that

Edison wasn't in league with the likes of Goddard, Fleming, Salk or Wright brother in terms of natural enlightenment OR integrity

Far more the likes of the robber barons of the era, or what would have sent peta into catatonic fits by todays standards

~CS~

Check out the Wright brothers. They never did get a plane to turn reliability The Smithsonian award for the first plane to fly a mile long figure eight pattern went to Glenn Curtiss

One mans robber baron is another mans successful businessman.

I have read the history books used in school by my children. I witnessed some of what is in the books live as it happened. (I am 66) The books were wrong, and they were intentionally wrong. It is probable that neither of us have the full accurate story of what happened.

Frank

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Both Tesla and edison played a major part in the electrical develepoment
of this world !
Why don't we just leave it at that !
Why do we have to bag or condem either one ?
It's quite unfair, and shows envy or contempt.
Both are bad traits.

:mad:

I would love to have met either one of them !
Show some respect man !
We all have jobs because of them.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Both Nicoli and edison played a major part in the electrical develepoment
of this world !
Why don't we just leave it at that !
Why do we have to bag or condem aither one ?
It's quite unfair, and shows envy or contempt.
Both are bad traits.

:mad:

I would love to have met either one of them !
Show some respect man !
We all have jobs because of them.

Who is Nicoli ?

Oh ! I guess you mean Tesla !

Sorry ! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts