Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My idea is to instal an auto clutch between the motor and loading system. This would separate the motor from the loading system until the motor reaches a certain speed. The loading system should speed up slowly and not affect the speed of the motor.
Is this idea already being used? What do you think?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I believe that centrifugal clutches were designed to do this ? (proper name: centripetal clutch). I'm sure there are more advanced electronic controls that do this now, but you go girl

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,897 Posts
A centrifugal clutch, similar to those used on go-carts, would work. Most of these will engage at about 2500RPM, so you'd need to use a two-pole (3600RPM) motor.

I've seen them with belt drive instead of chain.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Have you looked into a soft start?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
What is your application? A friend installed a go-cart centripetal on his small air compressor without an unloading valve....works great.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
They make motors that have a electric clutch between the motor and the output shaft. The clutch is electrically operated with a coil. Very similar to a foot pedal operated motor on a sewing machine.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,897 Posts
They make motors that have a electric clutch between the motor and the output shaft. The clutch is electrically operated with a coil. Very similar to a foot pedal operated motor on a sewing machine.
You can also get them to mount directly to a C-face motor.

With most of them, the input and output shafts are in line with each other, most have a C-face on the output too.

The older eddy-current variable speed clutches were the same way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts