Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am new to this forum so I am not sure if this is where I should post this, so please bare with me here.

I have removed an old range that had three wires rather then the new (3) and (4) metal prongs that were attached to the back of my old range. However, my New range has (4) hookups with essentially the same as my original but what appears to be now also a ground wire. My system however in my house is ungrounded.

My question is, would it be OK to utilize my (3) wires that use to be hooked up to my old range to hook up to my new range via the back paneling. Having the White in the Center, the Black to the Black and the last Wire to the other Wire Device & then put then screw the nut in place to ensure the wiring does not get loose?

I also have pictures of this scenario if you can not envision what I am asking and my setup that I am attempting to make vivid via this post.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail @ [email protected]

If you know about this topic and have genuine advice and are qualified please contact me, although if you are not familiar with this sort of setup, electrician type installation please refrain from contacting me as I would like to approach this as professional would.

Also if there are different options as well, please let me know which ones are my best. However, I would like to just hook up the three wires to the back of the range as that would be the easiest for me and the Lowe’s guy said I could do that if I wanted but he suggested in the future to get my system rewired so I had either a (3) prong or (4) prong system, rather then the typical wires that I have resembling those that you twist together when installing a ceiling light or fan for example.

Frigidaire 3011 Series 30-in Freestanding 4-Element 4.2 cu ft

Your help would be appreciated.

Gary

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pictures for visual of what I am referencing to for advice

Links to pictures:

Pictures of my current hookup that was utilized to hookup my old range and this is what it looks like after disconnected. Appears to be identical to the new (3) or (4) prong setup, just with Metal pieces on the new Plugs rather then old fashion Wiring

#1: http://i43.tinypic.com/9tl2wz.jpg

#2 http://i41.tinypic.com/35hh0t3.jpg

#3 http://i39.tinypic.com/2wf31jk.jpg

#4 http://i39.tinypic.com/aufiwk.jpg

New Range Back of Paneling that needs to be Hookup with old wires

#5 http://i43.tinypic.com/15zltv.jpg

#6 http://i43.tinypic.com/34pm4g4.jpg

· Banned
2,503 Posts
Sorry Gary, this is an easy one for us... But we don't help home owners on here.

Just call an electrician in the yellow pages, it won't cost as much as you might think.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am more of the type of person that enjoys learning and finding out how to this, no offense but if I wanted to contact a Professional I would have. I have found that most so called professionals, many times do more damage then good and I may reference to many scenarios throughout my own personal experience as well as colleagues of mine as well where electricians did not now exactly what they were doing and thus created problems short and long term. Thus I trust myself doing this more then any alleged professional and with valid and genuine advice from a knowledgeable person in this field I will connect the dots myself.

*As noted before, please only respond if you have advice regarding a solution in the DIY formation and advice on how to do this job Myself as a DIY type of person that I am. I do not want to be rude but please keep opinions and other side comments to yourself. I do know there are people that like to squander time and just post for the sake of boredom, but please refrain from that on my particular post as I am more of a bottom line type of person. Thank for your understanding as I know that both my time and your time are both valuable and should be utilized in a positive direction.

· Registered
229 Posts
I am more of the type of person that enjoys learning and finding out how to this, no offense but if I wanted to contact a Professional I would have. I have found that most so called professionals, many times do more damage then good and I may reference to many scenarios throughout my own personal experience as well as colleagues of mine as well where electricians did not now exactly what they were doing and thus created problems short and long term. Thus I trust myself doing this more then any alleged professional and with valid and genuine advice from a knowledgeable person in this field I will connect the dots myself.

*As noted before, please only respond if you have advice regarding a solution in the DIY formation and advice on how to do this job Myself as a DIY type of person that I am. I do not want to be rude but please keep opinions and other side comments to yourself. I do know there are people that like to squander time and just post for the sake of boredom, but please refrain from that on my particular post as I am more of a bottom line type of person. Thank for your understanding as I know that both my time and your time are both valuable and should be utilized in a positive direction.
You do realize that this is not a DIY forum and that this thread will get closed.

· Slave to the grind
619 Posts
Yet, you come here, to a forum full of professionals, asking for advice? Oh the irony is killing me...

· I own stock in FotoMat!
39,048 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.