Electrician Talk banner

Electric to gas range change over

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  A Little Short 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and trying to get a little help.
Customer wants a new gas stove to replace the existing electric
Range. The house sits on a crawl space, age of the house is maybe
20 yrs. old. Ok here's the question. Can I cut the 6/3 AL that feeds
The current range in the crawl space and splice (in Jbox) with AL/CU
connectors and feed a 120 outlet for new stove controls?? I'm only considering
This because service panel is in a garage with no acces below or above.
Flush mounted panel in wall. House is two story. Thanks for help in advance.

#3 ·
Is it actually 6/3 SER? If it is a 4-wire cable, then you could pull it back, bring it up into a closet or something, and add a 6 or 8 circuit sub panel. Run the new stove circuit out of that, and the customer also has roof from expansion in the future.

#4 ·
Yes you can. It is done often. You will need to pigtail it in the panel also because you can't get a #6 wire under a 20A breaker lug/terminal.

Often, the range is supplied with SE and, although the same things apply, it's technically illegal to re identify one of the conductors as a neutral (smaller than #4) .

#9 ·
where is this sub panel going? Behind the oven? 30 feet away? I see more than your 29 bucks piling up real quick.

I have less than $25 in my solution, and that is for those who don't have a burndy crimp gizmo. If you have a Burndy like I do it takes one third less time to finish the job, so you now have a 15 minute conversion , but since I always flat rate, that makes the money go into my pocket that much faster. And everything is in the van.

#10 ·
I would try the upsell panel....but if there is push back split bolts and panel work would work...depends on situation....have seen issue 1x with split bolt but was on 240v range line....sparky didn't use enough tape and proper method to wrap bolt....spark show was on:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.