Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Does an EV charging station outlet require a disconnect or does the breaker itself count as the disconnect?
I have zero experience with those chargers.

But, if it is a receptacle, wouldnt the receptacle qualify as a disconnect?

Edit to add, I see your talking about the charger. I don't know if it needs one. I wouldn't think so tho.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Anything under 50A does not require a disconnect, if it's 240v 60A and up a disconnect must be installed as per article 625 of NEC
625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.

That's interesting wording. Note the "more than" in two locations in the sentence, and that the voltage reference point is ground, not across phases.

So a 60 amp, 240v charger does not need a disconnecting means. It's not "more than 60 amps", and is not "more than 150 volts to ground".

You can almost guarantee this one is misinterpreted by inspectors all over.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.

That's interesting wording. Note the "more than" in two locations in the sentence, and that the voltage reference point is ground, not across phases.

So a 60 amp, 240v charger does not need a disconnecting means. It's not "more than 60 amps", and is not "more than 150 volts to ground".

Do these chargers output AC or DC? Could they be talking about output ratings?

·
507 Posts
8V71 said:
I don't know anything about these. DC out or just AC to a charger installed in the vehicle? I'm pretty sure the negative on a regular automotive battery charger is bonded to the AC ground if that's what you mean.
Yea that pretty much answered my question. Haven't had much experience with chargers or DC. I think it would be pretty unlikely to have 150+ dc on these chargers. Maybe that code is for "quick" chargers that use 600y or 480y systems. I.e commercial applications

·
Registered
40 Posts

Yes... read through the 2008 article just this week and saw this. Does seem to be for commercial installations 277v or more or more than 60A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.