Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched this topic a bit but I still can't come to a decision. I am leaning towards Klein, but I might also go for a set of Wera or Wiha. I like the idea of the Wera screwdrivers but I find the handle to be uncomfortable does anybody have any experience with them? Anyhow what brand of screwdrivers would you recommend and why?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Klein has fell off big time, Wera is good but the lasertip one's are not hardened like regular ones and Wiha makes good screwdrivers. My personal favorite is Felo, very strong, quality like no other.
Wera handles to me are very comfortable, but took time to get used to them, Felo handles are better in my opinion. Greenlee makes screwdrivers that seem to be quality of the older Kleins.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
You will buy more screwdrivers as you lose/break them. Or once you're making enough money to blow on nicer screwdrivers. Don't think too hard on it. As a new apprentice anything with an unlimited warranty (like most Craftsman/Husky tools) is the best "investment" in my opinion.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just looked into the felo screwdrivers very good looking product and reasonably priced too. I don't see any robertsons but I am considering picking up a set, I like my bondhus Allen keys and felo and bondhus I guess are the same German made stuff is usually quality.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Felo = best screwdrivers , Bondhus = best hex, star, and they make robertson's also which are probably better than Felo's as Bondhus does have a patent on the protanium they build their tools from, a metal that Bondhus has proven to be the best for tools. The robertson's that Bondhus sells are on amazon ( 4 pack under $20 ) and have ball heads like the Ball hex that ( Yes Bondhus invented ) So pretty much if Bondhus makes it, buy it from them. Other wise Felo makes the best screwdrivers

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just looked into the felo screwdrivers very good looking product and reasonably priced too. I don't see any robertsons but I am considering picking up a set, I like my bondhus Allen keys and felo and bondhus I guess are the same German made stuff is usually quality.
Felo make square drive as well but I'm not a fan of them since they don't seem to fit as tightly as other brands. I started using Wiha drivers because of that and I'm completely happy with them.

If the the original poster is still interested in getting a set of Felo's I still have mine and would be willing to sell them fairly cheap if you are interested.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I've researched this topic a bit but I still can't come to a decision. I am leaning towards Klein, but I might also go for a set of Wera or Wiha. I like the idea of the Wera screwdrivers but I find the handle to be uncomfortable does anybody have any experience with them? Anyhow what brand of screwdrivers would you recommend and why?
Don't waste your money on anything else get the Klein's..

Welcome to the forum....:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
This is a uneducated opinion, Klein screwdrivers are terrible, no better than kobalt, husky, stanley or craftsman. Their pleirs are still great tools, their random new line up are often taiwan or china crap ( so check each tool )

This is a uneducated opinion
Really..?.:laughing:

BTW i agree on the china crap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Unlike many of the others, I won't claim there's a "right" answer to the OP's question. I gan share a few thoughts, though ...

Felo: New one to me, but they look to have the exact same handles as my (now defunkt) AT&G drivers. Simply superb handles!

Klein: One of the nicer things about Klein -as opposed to Craftsman, Snap-On, etc.- is that the Klein selection of bits actually lines up pretty well with the screws we actually encounter in electrical work. Especially with the slotted drivers, "mechanics" product lines all seem to be mis-fits.

Klein also popularized the soft rubber jacket over a hard plastic handle style of driver. While very nice, it is not a good thing if you're working around metal shavings.

My most often used driver is the Klein 10-N-1. I've tried most everything out there, yet I prefer it - even to other Klein multi-drivers. I use that tool more than all my other drivers combined.

One problem I have is readily telling the slotted drivers apart from the Phillips, the Robertsons, and the nut drivers - especially when I'm reaching into my back pocket. I solve this by having different brands; the handles feel distinctly different. I use Klein for the nut drivers, AT&G (Felo) for the Phillips, Ideal for the slotteds, and Stanley 100 Plus for the Robertsons. Craftsman is another with a very distinct handle.

I got away from Craftsman long ago for several reasons, and one of them was that EVERYONE had Craftsman at the time. You want your tools to be distinctly different, or they'll get mixed up and one guy will wind up with all the #2 Phillips and another will have all the 4" slotted drivers. Greenlee and Lenox have handles very similar to the Klein, but are very different in appearance. Something to consider.

Less often asked is: Who makes the WORST drivers? IME, Channellock driver handles (old style) are the worst; I've re-tasked mine into file handles. Almost as bad are the ones from the Klein subsidiary Vaco.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I personally like Matco's (Witte), Snap On, and Ideal's screwdrivers the best. Better quality than Klein and greenlee no doubt. Wera and wiha make some nice stuff but there are no dealers in the area so i will stick to Ideal, Snap On, and Matco because 1) Easier for me to get my hands on, 2) Easier for me to warranty, and 3) its my personal preference and they are the ones I like the best and seem to last the longest IMO. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I also know some agree. When it is all said and done you just got to get out there and try them but ask yourself these 3 questions. 1 How easy is it for me to get them? 2 Is there a warranty, if so how easy will it be for me to exchange them? 3 What style am I most comfortable with?

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an Apprentice Myself and an Electronics Tech for the last 20 years I only carry a 10n1, I have so many tools and most are Snap-on but lately a buddy has really taken a liking to the Greenlee brand, we both are Vets and prefer American Made when we can.

·
Bababoee
9,186 Posts
I was off klein for a while tried some others and realized that kleins arent that bad. Provided that you dont expect your drivers to last more than a couple of years at the most.. I can pretty much make anything work untill it becomes unusable.
Im the begining stages of your career dont waste your money on expensive tools. They get lost, stolen. Since ive been working alone i havent lost one tool.

Its not so much about what tool you use but who is using it...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
As an Apprentice Myself and an Electronics Tech for the last 20 years I only carry a 10n1, I have so many tools and most are Snap-on but lately a buddy has really taken a liking to the Greenlee brand, we both are Vets and prefer American Made when we can.
Hate to rain on your parade but Greenlees ENTIRE hand tool line is made overseas in Taiwan

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Felo make square drive as well but I'm not a fan of them since they don't seem to fit as tightly as other brands. I started using Wiha drivers because of that and I'm completely happy with them.

If the the original poster is still interested in getting a set of Felo's I still have mine and would be willing to sell them fairly cheap if you are interested.
I found that aswell, the Bahco is the best fit I have found so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.