Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am taking my contractors test in philly in 3 weeks and i am trying to review some of the stuff in the code. I was wondering if anyone has recently taken the test and could recommend some things I should be looking into or if anyone knows of some websites or has any mock up test they would be willing to email me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
14,442 Posts
You'll do fine on the NEC.

I've never seen an EC screw up enough Code questions to flunk.

It's the LAW portion of any EC test that throws fellas for a loop. :blink:

Usually, you'll need to take a cram-course in contractors law to pass any state test.

Contractors law is NOT intuitive. :(

You'll not just guess the right answers. :no:

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It's the LAW portion of any EC test that throws fellas for a loop.

Usually, you'll need to take a cram-course in contractors law to pass any state test.

Contractors law is NOT intuitive.

You'll not just guess the right answers.

Tesla,
Do you recommend any websites or books to go over the law portion before the test?

· Registered
14,442 Posts
Tesla,
Do you recommend any websites or books to go over the law portion before the test?
You'll need to use Google or Bing.

I'm located just down the road from CSLB HQ.

The folks in that office control the entire state system.

How lucky for me.

Not surprisingly, there is an outfit located only a few miles away -- south of I-50 -- that offers cram educations for all contractors on California law.

All of which is zero help to you.

You should figure on a similar set up in your state.

(A Harrisburg HQ similar to our CSLB?)

Out here the word is out: take the cram course or flunk the Law part of the license test.

The Code part was pitifully easy for any guy that was active in commercial. Our test had virtually no questions that were specific to residential or industrial. You could miss every such one and fly to success.

The Law part of our test is loaded with gotchas specific to California law -- especially dealing with home owners. There's no logic to them. That's the rub.

The Law test will also go into how to establish Mechanic's Liens, how to draft a contract ( ie spell out everything you can spell out, etc. )

I can't imagine that your state doesn't have some crew hustling contractors to cram the test.

I, personally, would never even attempt the test without a cram session.

Every contractor I've known has taken such courses... 'cause we're not attorneys.

Retired
18,682 Posts

I'm afraid if I were to have to retest for my contractors/masters I would flunk for sure. Its been a very long time and I rarely used a code book in the last 15 years. I'm also 60 now and my memory is not what it once was.

In SC, the "ethics/law" exam is open book and would be a cinch to pass. You even get the questions and the book together.
It was the easiest part for me.
Anytime I can look up an answer with no time limit is the test I like to take.

· Registered
1,815 Posts

There is no Law questions on the Philly exam
Strictly code and and there is blueprint that they ask you questions from

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.