Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical Documents???

I'm a 17th edition electrician currently working for a mainly commercial electrical contractor.

I'm admittedly a little out of touch with requirements regarding Electrical Installation Certificates, and who can sign them??

I've been carrying out electrical work at a property, not a full rewire, but altering and installing circuits. Previously, the installation was well under the 2008 requirements.....

i've since upgraded the installation to comply with current regulations, and carried out a full inspection and test.... All readings are within the parameters allowed. So the installation is good to go!!!

I just need an Installation Certificate to sign it off, who can sign this???
I mean, i'm approved with 17th edition.... can i sign it?? the installations been proved safe??

Any pointers would be greaty recieved.....

regards
ginge

·
Registered
201 Posts
if we are talking form f1 bs7671 then it's you, if you are working to a designers spec form f2 with seperate design,install and test

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Gringe

You are enterring UK's very own 'Twilight Zone' with the wonderful phrase 'competant person'

In these times of litigation culture b*llocks as an electricain issuing an EIC you will be deemed guilty in a court of law until YOU prove yourself innocent. We do that by issuing the test/installation certificates but nowadays there is also a move towards proving competancy by having having the 2391. But please note there is no official requirement that you MUST have it.
If you are dealing with domestic properties the Part 'P' scheme goes towards proving competancy by way of the assesment procedure (but not all the way if there is a legal problem in the future - death, electrocution etc)

The powers that be want to move away from the literal meaning of the word competant that could be used by a DIYer thinking they know how to do electrics!!! "yeah! mate I can wire a socket sniff sniff"

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts