Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Safety is a Billion $$$ industry, and while i'm sure you've made a good living from it, you should know what the folks you're working for are all about Joe

Face the facts

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
One just has to love this self righteous for a $$$ tax paid legislatively sanctioned shtick of a career , are they hiring? :whistling2: ~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
a real lack of information leading to a real lack of safety leading to a real lack of respect in prostituting it all would be more apropos....~CS~

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Professor in school showed these types of videos.. also said in most of these instances PPE would just make you a good looking corpse.
This is true in many instances. In the video Harry posted for instance the blast itself dismember the poor bastard. Burn protection likely would not have prevented that tragedy.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
This is true in many instances. In the video Harry posted for instance the blast itself dismember the poor bastard. Burn protection likely would not have prevented that tragedy.
Those two did not know what they were doing,there is a reason the breaker did not fit.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Those two did not know what they were doing,there is a reason the breaker did not fit.
Bingo!

But, lets put a bunch of PPE on them that will make them sweaty, decrease their vision, hearing, and dexterity. That willl make them safer!:thumbsup:

This is the root of my issues with 70e. They take a handful of morons that either didn't know what they were doing in the first place, or made a stupid mistake, and then decide that everyone should dress up in the space suits for "safety sake". Pay attention to what you're doing! If you don't know, ask someone who does! These simple things would prevent most arc flash incidents. Sure, sometimes there is a mechanical issue/failure with the equipment itself, but that is the exception and not the rule when it comes to these incidents.

I personally will not wear arc flash PPE. I believe it increases the risk of making a mistake due to decreased, vision, hearing, dexterity and a false sense of security. When working hot I want to have all of my senses in a hightened state so I can fully concentrate on what I'm doing and be sure I am not going to make a mistake. I don't discourage anyone else from wearing it PPE. I will always advocate that people make their own informed decision and take what ever steps necessary to decrease their risk. It is up to each individual to determine the level of risk that is acceptable to them.

Flame on.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I have a full 12 Cal suit. I realize it's limitations, and have worn it simply to turn on my own installs.

That said, the industry doesn't give a rodents patootie about our safety

If it did, tthe NFPA would be lousy with the idea of electrical isolation devicings, so would all the trade mags.

The apprenticeships in every state would hand out 70E , the national testing orginizations would have basic safety questions to obtain licensure

Instead, we have an inversely proportional scenario.. I say this because we are a capitalist society, which only pursues capitalist fixes

The more of us that appear as idiots, untrained and/or dead are exploited by the safety cabal for it's own gain

Once you get your head around this, and it ain't no stretch, you'll realize the predatory nature of the safety cabal and it's toadies

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Mods, how's about letting this post stand

I'd like a response, not an evasion

thx

~CS~

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Bingo!

But, lets put a bunch of PPE on them that will make them sweaty, decrease their vision, hearing, and dexterity. That willl make them safer!:thumbsup:

This is the root of my issues with 70e. They take a handful of morons that either didn't know what they were doing in the first place, or made a stupid mistake, and then decide that everyone should dress up in the space suits for "safety sake". Pay attention to what you're doing! If you don't know, ask someone who does! These simple things would prevent most arc flash incidents. Sure, sometimes there is a mechanical issue/failure with the equipment itself, but that is the exception and not the rule when it comes to these incidents.

I personally will not wear arc flash PPE. I believe it increases the risk of making a mistake due to decreased, vision, hearing, dexterity and a false sense of security. When working hot I want to have all of my senses in a hightened state so I can fully concentrate on what I'm doing and be sure I am not going to make a mistake. I don't discourage anyone else from wearing it PPE. I will always advocate that people make their own informed decision and take what ever steps necessary to decrease their risk. It is up to each individual to determine the level of risk that is acceptable to them.

Flame on.
You are a fool.

And not only are you putting yourself at risk of injury you are putting your coworkers job security at risk.

Many companies go out of bussiness after a death and the resulting lawsuits and fines.

But go on being a selfish manly man.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Loss of tactility as well as the fact PPE won't save you from being fragged is a valid point you won't find in 70e Mr BBQ ~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,567 Posts
Bingo!

Flame on.
I understand your point however you cannot depend on 100% attentiveness for everyone all the time. Things happen-- I saw a guy get stung by a bee and get knock to the ground working on something hot. Things happen out of the ordinary.

BTW, my dad may be alive today if they has PPE when he was working on an emergency call at night. No one knows what really happened but he had a 2 helpers there and one guy said he remembered my dad saying "why the hell did you do that" -- they were working in a hospital and ran to the er room. He died 35 days later.

My point is PPE does save lives.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts