Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a senior in high school and I am looking to graduate and start electrical school. Is there any website or book you guys could recommend to help me get a head start on learning the trade? Also, what should I expect as an apprentice?

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Hello! I'm a senior in high school and I am looking to graduate and start electrical school. Is there any website or book you guys could recommend to help me get a head start on learning the trade? Also, what should I expect as an apprentice?
W
What type of electrical school are you going to?

go to the library and get some basic electricity books

bone up on your math and algebra.

expect to climb ladders, work on lifts, drill holes, cut pipe and stock, work with power hand tools, an electrician hand tools for starters.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
start donating as much time to Habitat for Humanity, that will be a good experience for you to get use to residential environments. do whatever they have for you but tell them you like to learn electrical see what they can do for you, if no electrical just be around the house building process.

·
Registered
32,120 Posts
1. Quit eating the Shrooms Mr. Mushroomman!:laughing:

2. If possible get on with the IBEW sign up NOW with your local.
3. Beat on doors and try to get with an electrical contractor while you WAIT and WAIT on the IBEW.
4. Hopefully the electrical contractor is a ABC shop and can send you to an approved apprenticeship school.

LOOK FOR THE IBEW AND JJOBS NOW.

DO NOT, look for a school were that charges you for electrical training. I REPEAT DO NOT.

DO NOT PAY FOR TRAINING,

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'll be sure to keep you all updated! And is union the way to go?
You will get the best training that way and they pay the tab while you get paid to learn,so it's a great deal if you can get in.

My advice is do everything you can to get in and never give up until you get in.

Good luck...:thumbsup:

·
808 Posts
Study the NEC

Study the NEC!

NEC Digital Flashcards are the only NEC study tool offered by the National Electrical Code® publisher, NFPA®. Flexible, easy-to-use, and fully optimized for any mobile device running Chrome 25, Safari, Firefox 19, Internet Explorer (IE) 9, including Android devices, iPhone or iPad, the NEC Digital Flash Cards use content drawn directly from the 2011 edition of the NEC

Stay informed on the NEC and the NFPA code making process by visiting www.nfpa.org/70

Join IAEI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts